Rules of The Mod Zoo Forums

General Rules

1. Listen to the Admins and Moderators, they are the keepers of the peace.

2. Registering for the purpose of spamming, harassing, insulting, or starting trolling in will result in a ban, we do not want to ban you! This includes offensive usernames, multiple accounts, etc.

3. Children will be around the zoo, please keep your language clean.

4. If you advertise or solicit a website, product, services, sales, competitors, or any other forum that is detrimental to The Mod Zoo and associated companies you'll be warned, and if not removed, you'll be banned. This includes use of private messages to other forum members.

5. If you regularly break the rules, expect to be warned, then banned. We have other things to do.

Posting Content

1. TheModZoo.com forums are dedicated to computer case modding, and related topics ONLY unless otherwise specified in the thread. Posts that stray off-topic will be deleted, and the user may be notified by PM. This isn't personal, it makes it easier to follow worklogs.

2. The first thing you must do after registering and reading these rules is fill out your user profile, mainly your location. This is so that we can help you!

3. We do not like text such as "wat" for what, "U" for you, lack of punctuation, etc etc... Ignoring this rule will just annoy everyone, it is not that hard! There is of course the exception for those that English is a second language.

4. Posting of any content which is offensive whatever a person's race, colour, ethnic 
or national origin, religion, beliefs, sex, age, physical or mental disability, state of 
health, appearance, status, family circumstances is not acceptable.

5. We all start somewhere, please be constructive with your posts, if you cannot be constructive do not post at all.

7. Do not post stupidly large images, we all hate loading times!

9. Do not post anything describing, discussing, or asking about illegal activities, pirated software, hacking, or anything else that you could get in trouble for.

10. You may post up to 40 pictures per post, but if you abuse this by posting 3-4 times in a row all with 40 pictures, the posts will be deleted.

11. Posts with broken image links will be deleted.

12. No Double Posting You may not post more than once in a row in the same thread unless you're a Mod Zoo Admin or Moderator. You may not re-post identical content from one thread to another thread or subforum. The only time double posting is allowable is when relocating a worklog from another website to The Mod Zoo Forums to abide by our "40 pictures per post" limit.

13. Only Vendors with approved subforum on the Mod Zoo Forums are allowed to post links to facebook giveaways. Mod Zoo members are not allowed to post links to facebopok giveaways.

Rules: Misc

Forum sigs and avatars - no outside advertising, questionable content, or other things that break previous rules are allowed.

Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

109 posts in this topic

ARCBANNER2.jpg

Behold my latest creation to be

Project Arclight will be a huge case built on an Enermax Fulmo GT chassis with some serious power behind it also provided by Enermax in the shape of the mighty Platimax 1200watt psu

Te Arclight will be an all acrylic outer shell with a double action doors and servo actuated fan intakes that will open and close based on fan speeds, the shell will have a double tone look with layered panels of black and flourescent blue to accent every edge even the 100s of vent parts will have glowing edges, the interior will be a partitioned system very much like the custom partition for my other project "Sulaco" but with far more refinement

Much of the details i would like to keep slightly underwraps untill I post them for that extra mystery, heres a little peek at the exterior

arclight2.jpg

arclight3.jpg

arclight1.jpg

several sponsors are already assisting me on this build and there help is as ever massively appreciated i simply would not be able to do this without them

Acrylic and solvent supplied by Hindleys. These guys are amazing, catering for 100s of different types of materials from plastic to metal and everything in between. And allays happy to answer even the craziest of questions a modder like me can ask

Massive thanks to Enermax for supplying a Fulmo GT, Platimax 1200wall and a vast array of case fans from there amazing Vegas range

Thanks also go to Bitfenix for givign me so much on my last project that i have enough spare to add to Arclight

hindleys_logo.gif

page_header_logo.png

bitfenix_logo_.jpg

logo.jpg

Stay tuned for a lot more to come........

Arclight was origionialy designed for the Enermax fulmo GT a huge and brillicnt case, but time has marched on and Azza have offered me the chance to use there superb Genesis 9000, so a little redesigning was called for,

Concepts for the intakes have been redesigned to better fit the new chassis and all the electronics have been brouht in and in some cases teaching myself arduino voodoo

Heres the first batch of parts going in to the chassis

the origional blade design and array have changed slightly from this

ventsreflexed.jpg

to this

render4.jpg

render1.jpg

The array control mechanism of a pull rod attached to a servo will remain much thesame as the origional

Some parts will need to be scrapped or completely changed to fit the new body shell such as the origional concept for the sides side.jpg

the new version will be a wait and see but they look great in the planning

Well this project will need a huge number of mechanical and electronic parts in top of your typical PC set up

This arduiuno kit courtesy of Phenoptix is a great start to the project and will be controlling several of my lighting systems including a rather clever hack of a LOL shield

DSCF3694.jpg

LOL shields and old school bar graphs will be making quite an appearance as accenting lights, and yes there will be larson scanners

DSCF3688.jpg

Servos and actuators will be making a big appearance including several mechanized fan intakes and a large front panel "shield"

DSCF3689.jpg

DSCF3691.jpg

And to wrap up this update and REBOOT, Kingston have graciously given there support and provided some of there swesome products

the amazing HyperX 120gig SSD

DSCF3674.jpg

and a quad kit of DDR3 2400MHZ RAM

DSCF3652.jpg

DSCF3641.jpg

Stay tuned

Just a little update today

An absolute ton of cutting and sanding today

Well i dont have access to a lazer and i need a lot or duplicate pieces to were rocking it old school with a stencil

DSCF3696.jpg

And what better to cut out my many many parts than a home made table saw, complete with mitre fence

DSCF3702.jpg

Problem.... no sharpie..... solution... stick paper to plactic cover on acrylic and use engineering pencil... copy template.... move.... repeat.... over, and over

DSCF3703.jpg

and now its on to cutting

first up divide the sheet up in to manageable blocks

DSCF3706.jpg

then drill holes for turning the cutting blade in

DSCF3707.jpg

some more cutting to further separate each component

DSCF3708.jpg

first half done, all rough cut

DSCF3709.jpg

bit of refining the shapes to reduce sending

DSCF3711.jpg

sanding time...... 1 of 24

DSCF3710.jpg

and yes that is a dyson taped to the extraction port

all done for the day, 24 pieces of the main intake array rough cut and rough sanded

DSCF3714.jpg

i may never want to see acrylic AGAIN after this build....

Although ive had a long break from posting my work has continued, i finally have time to sit and type

So i shall pick up where i left off

The rough cuts were plastic welded in to pairs of one blue one black each with liquid dichloromethana injected in to edges to form 12 completed pairs

After coming off the sander for the first time the edges are still as rough as a badgers behind but the biggest thing to address is the notch in the top that neither the belt or disc sander can get in to

So out come the hand files

DSCF3813.jpg

4 hours later and the stack is complete

DSCF3808.jpg

The edges still needed quite a lot of refining so on to the hand sander

.... I broke my sender.... just imagine a lot of swearing and a run to the shop....

After sanding...

DSCF3930.jpg

DSCF3924.jpg

A little test fit and tease before polishing the edges of each intake

DSCF3941.jpg

Three hours of polishing with a drill press slightly modified to server as a bench grinder/buffer and we have....

DSCF3931.jpg

another 2 hours and we have a result

DSCF3926.jpg

A long time to finish from rough cut to finished intakes but they do look damn good if i do say so my self

Next up, modding the roof and base plastics

Toby your work is inspiring ! This just goes to show that these kind of builds only happen from a lot of hard work. But when your bringing a dream to life it can be good work. I have always loved the look of top louvers but yours will be the King. Love it!

Thank you, it has taken close to 3 months to complete most of the work with a big update being produced right now. Heres a little sample of the top intakes illuminated

illuminatedintakes_zps2b39f7de.jpg

Time for the update that has been a long time coming

As most of you know the case changed from from an Enermax Fulmo GT to an Azza Genesis 9000 as the Genesis offered a stronger frame and more internal space to work with.... before work started it looked like this...

caseext_zps0bfe3e9c.jpg

casedooroff_zps8a495408.jpg

and the chassis itsself looked like this..

framepremod_zps93c45dcf.jpg

IIt is a brilliant reverse ATX chassis, very well made and strong enough for an 16Stone man to stand on, BUT as is the case with mods some structure needed to be removed so after an hour with a drill we have

framepostmod_zps4d1f98b5.jpg

Frame all ready to measure up the floor panels and internal enclosures

As this case is somewhat modular in terms of its plastics i was freed up to mod sections in waves rather then all at once

starting with the floor plate, this would also serve as a test run for the metals replacing all the red inserts in the bezels

The base plastics are very heavy built and massive

floorpremod_zps386b530c.jpg

But the vents need to go to make way for metal inserts

floorafterroughcut_zps8fd3bc93.jpg

flooorremovingsupports_zps8c67b6ea.jpg

floorfilingintakes_zps57dd3fcc.jpg

Perforated plate form ebay makes freat replacement vent intakes for the floor

floormetalparts_zps2d387e96.jpg

floormetalinplace_zps9cd08e7f.jpg

Ahh hot glue what would i do without you....

All good mods start with a plan.... well thats me out of the window

But at least i got some penile work done measuring up the plastics for the enclosures

platemarkups_zpsf77e14fe.jpg

Measuringoutbottomplate_zps82e9d7f1.jpg

Overkill 120 grills make handy stencils of.. erm... overkill 120mm grills

Acrylics cut to size and welded with Hindleys Dichloromethane

testfitlowershroud_zpse2135260.jpg

moretestfitting_zps3e91ea98.jpg

Ahhhh all snug fitting

The psu, most of the tubing and a very thick 60x240mm rad will be housed under this.

This 60x240mm rad to be exact, with a pair of Enermax TB silence 120mm fans on pull configuration

fittingfloorrad_zps5f220a6c.jpg

Sharing the floor will be an Enermax Maxrevo 1200Watt fully modular PSU... it is MASSIVE

morepower_zpseb3af345.jpg

tomanycables_zps2829dff4.jpg

I may have to many spare cables

To kill some time waiting for some parts i partook in another of my favourite basstimes... no prizes for guessing what these 2 SciFi icons are

BSG_zpsf969ecea.jpg

B5_zps74f8e6c1.jpg

Plastrics cut and marked up for the optical bay covers, the optical and hdd bay area will house both pumps as well as most of the tubing of the twin loops and access hatched have been cut in to the floor compartment to get to rad fittings and install cables and tubes

measuringupfrontcovers_zps67b119e8.jpg

First test fit of all the enclosures plus checking that weight of the res holders will not warp the top of the enclosure

testfittingcoverplates_zps1a9cede3.jpg

Pass through holes cut for Tubing to and from the twin res, due to access the PSU, bottom Rad and main PSU looms are already installed in the lower enclosure

lowerrpassthroughcutout_zps5c34ab96.jpg

Well that's enough of the enclosures for now on to the roof again

After installing the rails and letting the welds cure in go the 12 vent components in to there sockets, until the retention arm goes in they can move through 140deg

moretopintakes_zpsdf22f98d.jpg

topintakessetinplace_zps3b943a77.jpg

I suspect that Dust is going to be an issue... just a hunch

topintakes_zps73e9f7cc.jpg

but DAYUM they look good lit

illuminatedintakes_zps79dbc1c3.jpg

I made a small plate to hold the servo, amazingly a tiny 9g servo can pull the vents, the full array weight close to 3lb

topmechanism_zps510dc27c.jpg

servomount_zpsf35f1c90.jpg

intakealigned_zpsa1f9b771.jpg

intakelongview_zpsfd7ba0f1.jpg

Yes i know the metal wire is a little ghetto but im waiting on an RC pull arm

hey i like the stock case that rear extraction tray is a nice touch . its got some good features also that pulley arm ...i want that concept must fined something to do with it . u still cheeting t boii :rolleyes:/>

With most of the structure and covers complete i can start the loops, that was a tad more involved than i expected, clearance between the top of the PSU and the Top of the floor enclosure is just big enough to get a 1/2 OD tube through... and i need to get 6 through it

Starting off... install res and attach to mounting blocks on the floor, plus attaching the main tubes from the CPU and MB waterblocks and taking then to the bulkhead

buildingtheloops_zps1bdbab17.jpg

buildingtheloops2_zps4c7ca79c.jpg

Next up install pumps and run feed tubes through the floor plate to the lower rad and run the outputs to the waterblocks, as i side thought i added a fill port and hooked up the top 360 radiator to complete both loops

fronttubing_zps6f218632.jpg

morefrinttubing_zps6448857b.jpg

Well at this stage i was going to fill my loops but my daughter has other ideas

stolencoolant_zps4cdf19ea.jpg

After a short fight that i eventually won with a stunning pile driver i finally filled the loops

accessallareas_zps3ac70737.jpg

pumping_zps19596dbe.jpg

upperradaccess_zps82e0564f.jpg

resholder_zps9cb9de2c.jpg

yay its leak free.... well it is now, it kind of wasn't but lets not talk about that.... nothing to see here... move along

Construction is 90% complete and its already in service as my main game machine, side door needs a window and massive changes are going to be made to the front of the case

So im going to show off some of the key features so far

modified intakes and bottom deck enclosure

floorintake_zps144986d6.jpg

Access ports

coverplates_zps69d59dd0.jpg

Concealed tubing

upperradaccess_zps82e0564f.jpg

pumping_zps19596dbe.jpg

floortrippleaccess_zps117bdae2.jpg

insidebottomaccessports_zpsc4d619c1.jpg

Tidy tubing with bulkheads

cooling2_zps2a53061a.jpg

Back plate mounted SSD and HDD

behindthebackplate_zps562094e4.jpg

Damn good lookin if i do say so myself

maincase_zpsf3b87075.jpg

MUCH MORE TO COME

I love your use of the overkill grills and so does Bill! I see I'm not the only one fool enough to mod a rig while using it. I have to do it out of necessity but your just MAD enough to do it just because you can. I'm going to look for a clue now, I seem to have lost it? WOW

All my best parts are in it, exept the gpu (new one on the way) so i had to mod on the fly, all in all i managed to keep down time to around 8 hours

Absolutely Amazing acrylic work. and love the reservoir setup. Hell i love everything about the build. Great Work Keep it up!