If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

InsolentGnome

G-Frame - Scratch Build (updated June 30, 2018)

On 3/13/2018 at 10:59 AM, Cheapskate said:

Now... where's the curved bits? :lol:  I'd really love to see a side panel with the blue stuff on it.

No curves and no side panels.  Gotta show off both sides! :eeek: Probably the only other blue veneer panel will be the keyboard deck when I get around to it.  I do have a few more mounting panels to make for the case but it's looking like they might be bare aluminum.

I am however thinking about making a Parvum style box out of the scraps and using up some of my extra veneer on it.  Thought that would be a good way to get rid of scrap and also a simple scratch build that I could do a tutorial on.  Don't know what color it's going to be yet.  I'm out of blue dye so that leaves me with black, coffee, and vintage maple.  So probably one of those, or maybe something totally different if I do order some more.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:57 PM, Cheapskate said:

All that prodding gone to waste. :laugh:

It's not wasted.  I've got it all saved up in my head for later use.

On 3/17/2018 at 1:23 PM, Mosquito said:

Looks awesome!

Thanks Mos! Not your level of woodworking, but it's passable.

Yeah, so I've been a bit distracted lately.  An InWin 301 project, two 303's, a trip to Taiwan and then Indiana(talk about polar opposites), starting a new fiberglass repair business, aaaand cleaning out the shop behind my house to move my business to so I can stop paying rent for where I'm at now.  Jesus, I'm going crazy. 

Slowly but surely I've been working on getting the side panels just right so I can continue on with the frame project. 

QuakeCon being in a month is definitely a motivator now as well.

So let's get into the build...I liked the panels. But with just the shellac, they weren't shiny enough.  And you know, who doesn't want to spend a month spraying clear and sanding?

G-frame-2018-06-09_13.15.17-me.jpg

That was the first coat of I'm not even sure how many coats.  Three, maybe four rounds of clear with a sanding in between the coats.  Why so many coats?  There were a few high spots here and there and I wanted to fill in any chips, etc.  What really added to the time was laying them down and only clearing one side at a time, but this also allowed me to really lay on the clear.

G-frame-2018-06-09_13.39.11-me.jpg

And the color was looking awesome.  After getting all the coats I wanted on one side, I taped it off so I could clear the other side without dealing with a lot of overspray.

G-frame-2018-06-13_17.47.04-me.jpg

In between coats I was using 220 and 320 grit paper to knock the clear down fast, on this last round, it was pretty smooth to start with so I went with 800 for my first pass.  I figure less chance of missing scratches that compound won't get out.

G-frame-2018-06-15_23.02.53-me.jpg

After the 800 grit, I went to 1000 grit and 3000 grit with my new toy.  I've got an air 3" polisher, but it was so nice not having to listen to the compressor kick on.  My new fiberglass repair business has it's perks.  Now don't worry, after all that sanding, I'm totally going to hit them with some compound to get them sparkling, but for now, they're shiny enough.  And I need something to do while the router is running later anyways.

G-frame-2018-06-18_21.10.39-me.jpg

While getting the panels ready, I re-thought my threaded rod idea.  It's just such a pain to thread everything on and I figured there had to be a source for 1/4" studs out there.  While looking, I ran across 1/4" set screws which hadn't even crossed my mind, but they're perfect.

G-frame-2018-06-15_23.02.47-me.jpg

G-frame-2018-06-15_23.03.49-me.jpg

Now with everything sanded and the set screws in hand, I can do some assembly and get some measurements for the next pieces I have to make.

G-frame-2018-06-20_00.13.35-me.jpg

G-frame-2018-06-20_00.20.19-me.jpg

G-frame-2018-06-20_20.23.29-me.jpg

G-frame-2018-06-20_20.23.40-me.jpg

G-frame-2018-06-20_20.23.49-me.jpg

G-frame-2018-06-20_20.25.52-me.jpg

The thing is turning into a monstrosity, but at least it's a good looking monster, LOL!  

Thanks for following along y'all! :)

Very  Nice 😁

Is this the end of this project...? 

Can't wait to see some hardware inside & how it reflect led lights 😉