Hello Munky,

If you have been having any issue registering, or logging in please email kyle@themodzoo.com.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Defyant

©º°¨¨°ºDisco Scorpion º°¨¨°º©

111111-L.jpg              

©º°¨¨°ºDISCSCORPIONº°¨¨°º©

FKA  Compaq'D

I decided to give this a name that was more suited to the mod.  Sorry if there's any confusion...  Since it's in the fun of the recent RGB sickness craze i thought why not!

Hi guys :) 

First off i  Can i say that there are some AMAZING builds on show here in TMZ's member work logs and i promise to take some time over the next day or so and comment in them.

I did spend a lot of today reading and watching a fair bit of forum content...  and WOW that spider mod :wub:

Anyways i'm not here to show off my stickers stuck to a case  and i'm not here to blab on about my content and concepts... i just don't have them... i fly by the seat.. old skool Alonso Bistro style :)

I have a few ruff ideas then i mod to make them happen... nothing in design or sketch up to show..So you guys just have to trust the visions of a mad man.

This mod is kind of a piss take... im not making fun of the modding scene.... but the direction the demand has taken. Punters only want RGB and RGB and a bit more RGB... then chuck in some more RGB.

SO the mod will be just that...  RGB! and cause i'm a plex modder and have a ton of scraps lets just go with that.

For note.

I try really hard NOT to copy and paste a working work log from one forum to the next. I feel it's an insult to the ppl of that community as each community is made up of a core of different modders who deserve my respect for the time they are about to give up for me.

So with without further ado and no clue it's disco time.

A humble junker PC, salvaged from a bin (im not a proud man!)

1-S.jpg 

The funny thing was i had intention of modding this case...... it just didnt offer anything..  Until one day i sat it up side down..... and im a moment of sheer madness i saw some potential.

So i fired up the old disco booth and started cutting.  Removed the front top and some rear metal for the scrap heap and while i was at it gave the chassis a couple base coats of white.

Just a working coat for now, a more "arctic white" will be the end colour.

7b-S.jpg

6b-S.jpg

The first "actual mod" is going to be a accent led PSU cover. To basically cover that whole bottom boxed section.

Do you really need to see how i bend it? or make it... or just the end product of each mod... lemme know

8-S.jpg

10-S.jpg

And a back board cover to match :)

12-S.jpg

13-S.jpg

I know you guys are sayin.... oi! thats not moddin!  Your right it aint :P

To try and save space and get free RGB im going to incorp the front and rear fans into the panels. Hard to explain hopefully the pics make up for it.

14-S.jpg

15-S.jpg

17-S.jpg

16-S.jpg

19-S.jpg

Next mod is to start adding the light feature to these panels.

The first light feature is to the PSU cover, a simple design to start with. 

2 Sections of plex cut, one being clear to carry the rgb light and the other white. The clear get it's top edge routed to help with the light effect.

20-S.jpg

The back of the white panel get a coat of white paint and covered in some 3M black block out vinyl .  Left over scraps from a black vinyl roof car wrap.  

22-S.jpg

23-S.jpg

24-S.jpg

Its not pretty or perfect but it dosnt get seen.   Next is to trim away a little from the edges.

26-S.jpg

27-S.jpg

I light test shows how effective the vinyl works

29-S.jpg

The clear also get a coat of white but on both sides.

31-S.jpg

And then glued together

32-S.jpg

next is to add an LED strip into that pre cut slot and install new panel

35-S.jpg

The inside get covered with some alloy tape or maybe later if PSU permits a proper panel.

37-S.jpg

38-S.jpg

Some disco shots.

43-S.jpg

44-S.jpg

45-S.jpg

41-S.jpg

Are yas feeeeelin it! lets bOOgie!

The back panel feature is really just more of the same.... infact the same technique is on all the modded panels in this mod. 

So i wont bore you guys with more of the same jibber just pics.

49-S.jpg

50-S.jpg

52-S.jpg

53-S.jpg

54-S.jpg

55-S.jpg

56-S.jpg

Disco time again!!!  I'm feelin some Bee Gees!

58-S.jpg

59-S.jpg

61-S.jpg

60-S.jpg

62-S.jpg

Lots more to come guys, will catch up asap :)

Cheers for lookin.

Big thumbs up form me, loving this effect. Possibly the easiest way I've ever seen an inverted ATX mod too - just flip the damn case!

16 hours ago, LePhuronn said:

Big thumbs up form me, loving this effect. Possibly the easiest way I've ever seen an inverted ATX mod too - just flip the damn case!

12 hours ago, CorbinKale said:

Looks like moddin' to me. I can't believe I never thought to turn a case upside down. Keep 'em coming!

Cheers guys :) yer i compute from the lounge so my pc sits off to my right... It's near impossible to find a pc with a window on that side.

For the front i ended up doing it twice... the first one was allowed the light to bleed back into the case..... it did look good but would take away from the mods to come.

Front V.2

This is ALOT of plex.... and to do it twice....   5 layers  3 x 6mm and 2 x 4mm make for some chunky modding.

214-S.jpg

To lay the LED strips in  channels are routed

100-S.jpg

102-S.jpg

when plastic gives me wood!

216-S.jpg

The back layer gets some magnets added to help gold the panel in place thru the build process.

Proper system will be added later.

247-S.jpg

248-S.jpg

The backs of the white panels are painted and covered with blockout Laura Palmer Style!!!

249-S.jpg

250-S.jpg

For a power solution im adding this little unit salvaged from a ship wreck.

239-S.jpg

238-S.jpg

242-S.jpg

Then the whole unit can be sealed.

251-S.jpg

But hang what happens if i blow a RGB strip!!!   lucky i f*cked up the first one and learnt from that mistake!

243-S.jpg

244-S.jpg

245-S.jpg

246-S.jpg

Back over to the router for a bit of edging!

252-S.jpg

253-S.jpg

254-S.jpg

1 into 4 power

255-S.jpg

Let there be light!....and it was green....

256-S.jpg

Very bright green.!

257-S.jpg

And of course!  I's Disco Time!

IMG_20171007_160159-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_160311-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_160352-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_160649-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_160631-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_160426-S.jpg

The difference between MK2 and MK1 was the rear light bleed which is now fixed.

IMG_20171007_160737-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_160746-S.jpg

There's been a lotta edging with this mod so i thought i'd change it up a bit....Time for some rear  action !

I kinda wish i never got this idea.... it was such a pain in the beep to do....tons of really close finger routing made for some hairy moments!

It all starts with another chunck of plex.... 8mm this time.

But i wanted to the panel to have 3d fit. So out with the router again and play follow the shapes.

197-S.jpg

198-S.jpg

You know nothing John Snow!

199-S.jpg

More Chunkyness!

200-S.jpg

"L" for luke!

201-S.jpg

A LONG time later!

203-S.jpg

204-S.jpg

205-S.jpg

Heres.... Disco time!

206-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_160805-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_160822-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_160714-S.jpg

That's pretty much upto date.....

For todays effort i spent some time on the MB cover and the Side mounted res.  Most of you guys wont know about my old mods .. My signature mods were always my custom water cool loops... which i might have another go at :P and my side mounted 45degree  water Res's. If i have enuf 10mm+ scrap plex ill do a proto of the res and post up.

For now heres a proto of the MB cover ... i just wanted to see if this would work with the mod so far.  I'm pretty happy with the results . Just need to make it larger and add another 2-4 layers. Then use the router to hollow out.  Anyways no one read this feces so i'll get one with it :)

It starts out a little messy and not pro like at all.....

IMG_20171007_184533-S.jpg

IMG_20171007_192523-S.jpg

Meh i do this 4 times....

IMG_20171008_131905-S.jpg

The end result looks a bit like this.  The shape of the final one  will be different.  it all depends on the MB i decide to use..... anyone?

IMG_20171008_165835-S.jpg

IMG_20171008_165842-S.jpg

It's pretty close  I'd imagine the GPU slot would be diff along with the potential water block used.

Oh SNAP! sorry i almost for got......      DISCO TIME!

IMG_20171008_170020-S.jpg

IMG_20171008_165614-S.jpg

IMG_20171008_165636-S.jpg

IMG_20171008_165719-S.jpg

IMG_20171008_165724-S.jpg

IMG_20171008_165316-S.jpg

IMG_20171008_165333-S.jpg

Ive been toying around with what DIY res to use on this build.  Anyone who knows my style of modding will have noticed this is pretty much a carbon copy of all my mods.

So not to break tradition i'll be adding a side mounted 45degree RES.

*Enter shameless plug from some older builds.

@ first i liken this mod most to HP-3 and still have a soft spot for the MEGA RES, this was the start of my RGB sickness.... who new back then it would go viral 10 yrs later......

IMG_4376-L.jpg

The Defyant style Dual side Res

This now seems a bit dated.... 

IMG_1087-S.jpg

Infact really sadly dated......

IMG_5155-S.jpg

So maybe between this and the mega res

46-S.jpg

Still not too sure...... might need some thing more modern...

Ugg. That reminds me that I never got past re-linking my current log. 

I know you... You're that guy on Bit with the hellish log-in. :lol:

AlonsoBistro... Man, I miss some of the old modders. He never told us how he can just happen to have rattlesnake skin lying around. As for the res, how about a roof 'slosh' tank? Fire LEDs through it from the bottom, and the ripple of the water on the surface could give you some psychedelic room lighting. 

12 hours ago, Bill Owen said:

Glad to see that you kept up on your Photobucket account, http://s5.photobucket.com/user/Defyantmods/library/Defyant Computer Case Mods?sort=4&page=0

Many Modders neglected to renew and lost all of their worklog photos

Cheers Bill, but honestly im tryin to ditch PB faster than a amd64 .... Currently moving everything over to smugmug.... but it's thousands of pics :(

12 hours ago, Cheapskate said:

Ugg. That reminds me that I never got past re-linking my current log. 

I know you... You're that guy on Bit with the hellish log-in. :lol:

AlonsoBistro... Man, I miss some of the old modders. He never told us how he can just happen to have rattlesnake skin lying around. As for the res, how about a roof 'slosh' tank? Fire LEDs through it from the bottom, and the ripple of the water on the surface could give you some psychedelic room lighting. 

LOL that's me.... i Was going thru my ansi period :P  Still use it to let peeps know im old skool.

Man AB was like my brother for ages we had soo much fun modding back then.. he could take a shoehorn and a bottle opener and turn into mod. I swear that guy had more talent in his pinky than i'll ever have.

LOL That snake skin WTF :P  What other forums did you hang in man?

Got out to the shed this arvo for a qik toy around...  @ Cheapskate (From the other thread)...  Ive thought about the top res but i really really want a window to see down to the GPU

Maybe a wrap "a" round job ala BennyG style :D

It's gotta be side mounted... it just has to be  It's has to be Defyant style :D   I held a old old dual res up and wow... its sad.... i tried a BIG single and even Perplex'd old res and nothing worked with the over all theme of this case.

Sooooooo  i spent all day @ work thinking this up.  it's a bit ruff.....but a modern take on the old dual side res what ya think ?

Of course it's gotta start with a chunk of plex.... well 3  36mm of it! 

1-S.jpg

Then some cutting .... sanding.... routering..... dremeling....cursing...

2-S.jpg

I need to PU a new reverse style router bit.... then i can cut down into the base and copy the exact shape of the middle section to add some more CC's

IMG_20171010_155240-S.jpg

IMG_20171010_160336-S.jpg

Of course it has to go Disco!

IMG_20171010_160805-S.jpg<<<<-----Defyant chiller Res!

IMG_20171010_160820-S.jpg<<<<------Freeeze!~

I dont want it to go the full length of the case..... theres alotta stuff still to install down there :P

IMG_20171011_155442-S.jpg<<<<---AirPort X-rays anyone!

Very nice, I especially like the trace in the PSU shroud.  Router in acrylic, knowing how much of a mess they are in wood, I can't imagine static filled acrylic shavings are fun lol

I was going to say it's not too bad, but I'm in the wetlands. I don't deal with static much. Acetal would likely be murder in a dryer climate. 

That res works. It doesn't look like it would tip the case over, for one thing. 

20 hours ago, Mosquito said:

Very nice, I especially like the trace in the PSU shroud.  Router in acrylic, knowing how much of a mess they are in wood, I can't imagine static filled acrylic shavings are fun lol

Tell me bout it!  My workshop looks like your white xmas!! The feces is all thru the house too :P the missus practically follows me around with the dust buster :P

17 hours ago, Cheapskate said:

I was going to say it's not too bad, but I'm in the wetlands. I don't deal with static much. Acetal would likely be murder in a dryer climate. 

That res works. It doesn't look like it would tip the case over, for one thing. 

Cheers mate that's what i needed to hear, i'm deff going to stick with it. ( altho i have a passion for diy res's) so might have a crack at another one :)

On 12/10/2017 at 2:54 AM, Cheapskate said:

Acetal would likely be murder in a dryer climate.

I just read up on that!!! WOW that's some funky plex!

11 hours ago, ForsbergCustoms said:

Looking good man! Love the layers of acrylic! 

Cheers FC tyvm mate the layers are a fantastic way the clear out a stockpile of plex that's for sure ;)

I had a good day to play mod the case Saturday :)  and got a good run on the side panel.

Sticking with the same formula of previous mods the Side Res will sit flush on the case chassis and pass thru the case side panel.

For this i'll use 3 layers of plex.

*1 mount layer

*Light layer

* Side Panel layer

The first layer is the anchor for the RES even tho it's not a massive res and wont hold a lot of water it does have some weight thanks to the chunky bits of plex used.

This first layer is secured to all four corners of the chassis.

The Side Res will then be HARD GLUED to that layer effectively fusing them together making them one unit.

Panel 1

IMG_20171013_161758-S.jpg

Panel 2

This panel is 6mm clear and will work as the light feature for the res and as the window for the SSDrive.

The Side Res is  place and copied 5mm over sized to allow a small gap around the entire Res.

The mother board is also traced so inlet and outlet of the res have clearance.

The SSD was also traced as this panel is also a window for it...... but i decided to move the SSD to the back as to not over crowd that corner.

IMG_20171013_162918-S.jpg

To do the longer straight line cuts ive used the router God know my old hands arn't steady enuf any more to try it with the scroll saw.

IMG_20171013_165105-S.jpg

The scroll saw is still used but for the smaller bends only. :D

IMG_20171013_171824-S.jpg

With that done this panel can now be temp taped to panel 3  and over to the router to copy the hole.

IMG_20171014_101942-S.jpg

IMG_20171014_102138-S.jpg

IMG_20171014_104153-S.jpg

The edge is also given a 45 cut.  a Random shot of my hand reaching for this bit is included for no real reason at all......

IMG_20171014_122834-S.jpg

Seriously .... don't try this stupidity @ home kids!

IMG_20171014_123417-S.jpg

Stupidity aside The 2 panels are pulled apart again and  Panel 2  has the protective film 5mm edge cut around the res hole.

The SSD  cut out is also added.

*NB The reason i leave this film is because it's WHITE.... White will always help light to travel and this actually Saves me having to use white paint.

IMG_20171014_131946-S.jpg

IMG_20171014_142339-S.jpg

Then gets the Laura Palmer  treatment.

IMG_20171014_153241-S.jpg

The Black block out is traced to the film under. The knife groove is already there from the previous cuts so these cut can easily be done free hand.

IMG_20171014_153925-S.jpg

Panel 3 gets one last mod  a hole for the SSD window

IMG_20171014_131147b-S.jpg

Panel 2 and 3 and be temp sealed together

IMG_20171014_153953-S.jpg

The panels are flipped over and the LED strip channels can be added to Panel 2

* A 3rd small strip needs to be added @ the top  to fix a small dark spot.

IMG_20171014_123759-S.jpg

IMG_20171014_131147-S.jpg

All that's left is to temp attach it all up for some

DISCO TIME! 

IMG_20171014_161750-S.jpg

IMG_20171014_161811-S.jpg

IMG_20171014_161854-S.jpg

Dark spot @ the top aside im pretty happy with this look, i did not want to remove the protective paper just yet... but couldnt resist a qik sneaky peak @ how the 5mm gape i left for the soft hue would look

IMG_20171014_162014-S.jpg

IMG_20171014_162031-S.jpg

Beyonce says!

1438-beyonc%C3%A9-knowles-disco-wallpape

SSD Cover next :D

See kids, That's how you do it! Loads of fun, and no hardware to be seen. -Well, there were some fans... Looking great. :D

Acetal: Yeah, It makes super-soft tiny chips that stick to anything.

Also, You seem to be neglecting your Bit-tech thread.:laugh:

8 hours ago, Cheapskate said:

See kids, That's how you do it! Loads of fun, and no hardware to be seen. -Well, there were some fans... Looking great. :D

Acetal: Yeah, It makes super-soft tiny chips that stick to anything.

Also, You seem to be neglecting your Bit-tech thread.:laugh:

Cheers mate  :)Remember the days when  case modding was about...... case modding :D

I need me some of that Acetel thats my kinda stuff.

BT ... you think anyone else has even noticed :)

I tell ya tho mate im having a ball going back thru all the old case mods here!

3 small updates today

First one was for moi :)  gotta look after me bits...... me router bits that is!

Decided to finally knock up a caddy for the router bits... and why not give it light.

IMG_20171015_165200-S.jpg

IMG_20171015_165226-S.jpg

Now that my bits are all secured i can get back to modding :D

Always wanted to make a RGB SSD cover so i did !

More plex!

IMG_20171015_145350-S.jpg

The clear is taken over for some channel routing (for the LED strips)

IMG_20171015_145757-S.jpg

The top White is given a coat of white paint on its underside ( this stops the black blockout bleeding thru)

IMG_20171015_151726-S.jpg

The clear is given  some block out film.

IMG_20171015_151832-S.jpg

The edges are trimmed away

IMG_20171015_152112-S.jpg

Some of this is added to the join the 2 layers

IMG_20171015_152325-S.jpg

IMG_20171015_152401-S.jpg

And it's sandwich time!!!

IMG_20171015_152438-S.jpg

Then it's off to the router for some sexy edge trimming

IMG_20171015_153006-S.jpg

In the add break i wired up a strip of 6 LED's

This lays in the routed channel

IMG_20171015_160255-S.jpg

to seal up the back of the panel im using alloy tape this has good reflection

IMG_20171015_160638-S.jpg

Disco time!!!!!......... well just mono colour this time :D

IMG_20171015_160749-S.jpg

I gotta stop removing the paper......

IMG_20171015_161142-S.jpg

Feeling blue!

IMG_20171015_162620-S.jpg

IMG_20171015_162734-S.jpg

Cheers on the youtube video interview!

Great content!

**edit to add** So much history and art has been lost to time. It is encouraging to see it recorded here. Thanks to all, who document their efforts in this field.