Hello Munky,

If you have been having any issue registering, or logging in please email kyle@themodzoo.com.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mechnut450

making a scoop for a radiator

So I been tinkering on my computer and looking to mod the top to allow more air flow with a custom air scoop. basically I want to make a piece that fits snug to the radiator ( it a UT 60mm from alphacool. ) that can mount a total of 4 120 fans on it ( two ti either side) what I like to do is replace the fans and install this scoop and have the 4 fans on the top pulling all the air though and out the top so i can get possible more cooling power. but i lack the 3d printer to make one and I not shop friendly ( last time I tried to make a custom piece I almost crushed 3 fingers with the hammer and a piece of tin ( dont ask lol) I not worried on what it made from I just trying to figure out a simple basic model to test at first any help and you can have  rights too for selling.

For just testing I'd use cardboard and glue.

Edit: and I just saw your palsy post. You could possibly draw up a design in a free cad software and get that laser cut. -Something like thin plywood would be good with slots and tabs for easier alignment. Then it would be a matter of taping the parts together and gluing.

You should check out Slipperyskip's project logs. He uses a lot of pre-cut wood. In a lot of projects, he glues the wood around things like fans, (Hard to explain, but the amount of cutting he does in some projects is minimal.) Most of Skips logs are on other sites, since the Zoo is fairly new.

yeah i am going to do a cardboard version first. but i was hopping to make a more interesting scoop/box later with more interesting design to it. i only have one snag to worry about and that  the cradle for my hot-swap drive on the case.  i might have to make a angled piece and then set it back out to mount fans .   I thinking a fans on top and 1 at least on front and both left and right sides to pull air out with. (or does someone think it be just the fans fighting each other too much. 

Depends on the fans. Tilting the hot swap may be a problem. Supposedly, you aren't supposed to tilt mechanical drives. Anything not flat or 90 degrees on edge is not recommended by the manufacturer. 

yeah I never really like using it but it does work if i trying to scan a possible drive that infected by virus.   here a rough design of the sides and the top ( front and back might work  with like top so it have more fans. 

fan side.jpg