If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

Sign in to follow this  
thorkon

[Build Log] Metroid -A 3D printed computer case

Turns out programming isn't as easy as I had hoped. I have a friend or two giving me a hand. In the meanwhile, I picked up 2 more sponsors! This is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

First off is GEIL with supplied 2x8gb SUPER LUCE 2400 DDR4 RGB Ram
STbYsXC.png

CPFeWCw.jpg
Ie9Sqko.jpg

Next is ThermalTake who graciously supplied RGB fans, PSU, and a sweet CPU cooler
0o78Bow.png

Engine 27 CPU cooler (first time for me seeing an all metal fan, looks awesome!)
Qnw0Cj8.jpg
EM261uq.jpg

Thermaltake Toughpower Series PSU SFW 600W
vaD1oml.jpg

Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB Fans + TT Sync Controller
KpWH9iX.jpg
hQPbqzV.jpg
T131L9S.jpg

Thanks! The light effect came out way better than I thought it would. I'm just ironing out the final details of the programming with the lights right now. They'll show up in the next update. I have it so only 2-4 strips will be run at any time.

I've been doing small things that didnt warrant many photos (trying to learn to program, ended up having my 2 buddies help me), and rearranging computer components. 
I'm nearing completion though! I will probably have 1 more update after this then it will be final photos and a time lapse video of the build/3D print process. My buddy is working on the music for that video atm. Anyway, on to the smaller update here:

This is the rear of the case. Its fitting the Thermaltake Riing RGB fan. I wanted to keep the fan removable because I need to get my hand in the computer case to plug the fans in once I put the top on. I ended up using magnets to hold the fan in place (located at each corner). 

xm3xrA1.jpg
0ltdNfB.jpg

This is the top of the case with another Thermaltake Fan. This is permenantly installed in the case no need for removal here.
XvQdk7I.jpg

This is experimental. I'm using translucent red plastic to use as pseudo cable sleeves for psu/power button/Asus 1080 card. I think it looks good, but what do you think?
SlSjkjb.jpg

Also you can see I went with Thermaltakes Riing Cpu cooler. I was afraid it would be too tall but it is about an inch short of hitting the top of the case so no worries.

Probably last update until the final photos and video! I'll have it at PAX East 2018 if anyone is going to be there by chance.
Got the lighting done! I have it wired into the PSU so it doesn't need additional outlets to be plugged in. x4wILWh.gif

This is the window side. Just printed some flat sides to cover up gaps the acrylic window leaves.
JPfBsR9.jpg

These are little "feet" that help guide the top frame onto the body. They are angled so the top section slides on them.
AZP57aH.jpg

Next is I decided to self-promote on the SSD since it was looking bland anyway :D
DeB3ljF.jpg

NcXpDbu.jpg

My finalized wiring job
oSyWipP.jpg

Be back in a week or two with the final photos! (probably post video a little after that).

Pretty funky project all around. It was lots of fun to watch. 

Opinion on wire covers: I would have done the inside more organic/less 8-bit. Not just for the contrast, but for a tidier fit. I know you didn't have fun fitting the wires around those square bends.

Thanks guys, it was a new material for me and cool to work with (I'll probably stick with it).

On the wire covers, it was surprisingly smooth fitting the wires into the hard bends. I do agree organic may of looked better for the contrast. I'm just hesitant to spend time designing it as they are hard to see when the top part is on which will be 99% of the time and won't be really viewed.

Large photo dump inbound!!!!!
Specs: 
-ASUS ROG Strix X370-I

-ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo

-GeIL 16gb DDR4 Super Luce RAM

-Thermaltake SFW Toughpower 600w fully modular PSU

-Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans (120mm, 200mm, Cpu cooler)
WK65GK8.jpg
sHXq4pX.jpg
zGLgk2u.jpg
xJQ7SvZ.jpg
V8PnSSW.jpg
QAEi183.jpg
lSmlrfy.jpg
yHyPX6b.jpg
D3xxoGg.jpg
US9mDRQ.jpg
ntzadws.jpg
bHpYo5c.jpg