If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

TweaknFreak

Logitech G413 LED Mod

Hi community. This is my first DIY pc project I'm planning. What I had in mind was to wrap a Red LED strip around my Logitech G413 keyboard, around the perimeter. The keyboard is backlit in red led light so I though red LED strip around it will make it even more dope. Something along these lines

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1kwQFG8vFWGPQCRm8uRZ

My keyboard also has a USB pass through port which can be utilized for powering the LED strip, I guess. My keyboard below

g413-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.png

I was thinking using a L-shaped USB Male to Female connector to make things clean. The pass through USB port is along the perimeter between the keyboard wire and the Logitech G logo on the far right side of the keyboard. Please share your valuable suggestions for making this thing a reality. Thanks a bunch.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpekfQJ3SN-BRuEJTLA

I'm not sure how many LEDs you can power off a usb port. 

It would be less clunky to access the usb power from inside the keyboard by soldering directly to the needed board connections. I'd probably chop the connector out altogether since you won't be able to use it.  

I see. I will try to do that carefully as I don't want my keyboard short circuited(I'm very clumsy at soldering). But I'm still struggling to find a good acrylic based material to cover the LED strip along the perimeter to get a clean and decent look. You have any ideas on that?

Holy crap, talk about missing a reply. It's probably too late to reply.

Tap plastics carry extruded triangular and half-round extruded rods, but the shipping would probably murder you. 

I might be too late as well, but I'd use EL tape.  Like EL wire, but it's flat.  You'd have to find a way to hide the transformer, but you'd get a solid bar of light all the way around.

On 8/26/2018 at 2:33 AM, InsolentGnome said:

I might be too late as well, but I'd use EL tape.  Like EL wire, but it's flat.  You'd have to find a way to hide the transformer, but you'd get a solid bar of light all the way around.

You are not late, bud.  😊

Actually your idea is awesome. Since I'll be cutting a hole into the table for the keyboard and mouse wires to be underneath the table surface, I reckon I can attach the transformer under the table surface by a clamp or some glue. What do you think?

On 9/14/2018 at 4:46 AM, TweaknFreak said:

You are not late, bud.  😊

Actually your idea is awesome. Since I'll be cutting a hole into the table for the keyboard and mouse wires to be underneath the table surface, I reckon I can attach the transformer under the table surface by a clamp or some glue. What do you think?

That would make fitting a transformer pretty easy.  The only thing I'd have to say is get a good transformer.  Some of them have a tendency to scream.  The one I used in a case for some EL I wound up disconnecting because it was so annoying.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Chatbox
    There's a thing here. Somehow it moved to the top of the page, but I didn't do it. No, really! But still, Cheaps is likely to blame...
    You don't have permission to chat.