Andrew_k

Companies cutting corners all over the industry

I felt like I had to post this, because I'm getting tired of seeing so many companies in the industry cut corners to save costs, while their asking prices remain high and don't reflect the quality you're getting. I've seen this in so many different companies that avoid putting lips on edges in their cases, s*** quality hard drive cages, poor quality control, and other little things all over to cut costs.

I realize the economy is tough, but that shouldn't stop companies from caring about the quality of the products they put out. People will buy your products if they aren't feces.

Another example I've run into recently, is Swiftech making waterblocks for EVGA. They call it their HydroCopper line. They charge top dollar for them, and the quality and quality control is terrible. This is one of the big reasons I'm having cheapskate make blocks for my 680's rather than buy the hydrocoppers.

Exhibit A.

hydrocopper.jpg

Aquacomputer is top quality kit (German efficiency) but that Swiftech looks absolutely dire (SH*T)

That really is piss poor in comparison

It's pretty unbelievable. And at a higher cost. Look at those fins. Disgusting. I could do better with a dremel. And the channel isn't even milled into the copper. It's in the top. How cheap can you get.

I so agree there, Swiftech have certainly let there quality control slide some (what quality control???)...

I'll certainly be avoiding their kit in future if that's what $160 buys you

While not really new where the metal isn't milled but the top Delrin part is (ie: my Koolance VID-NX580s), that mill job for the fins is very sad for the cost of that block. Here is what the Koolance GTX580 one looks like (which shows the interior - I'm sure their newer blocks follow a similar design):

vid-nx580_p3-700x700.jpg

Edit: Oh and list on the VID-NX680 is $119 if you want a price comparison as well.

Companies are cutting corners everywhere... It seems to me that, as the trend of building PCs catches on, they're trying to make profit over anyone who has just started building PCs and doesn't really know/understand the difference between high and low end design. Have you seen Antec's new case? It's just a cheap ripoff of the c70...

zkg1X.jpg

If I were designing a full cover GPU waterblock, I wouldn't mill the water channel into the copper either... it's expensive, unnecessary, and wasteful. That said, I'd also price it accordingly vs. the increased materials and milling cost of using the copper.

If I were designing a full cover GPU waterblock, I wouldn't mill the water channel into the copper either... it's expensive, unnecessary, and wasteful. That said, I'd also price it accordingly vs. the increased materials and milling cost of using the copper.

There has to be a reason for them doing it then. I can't imagine EK, Heatkiller, Aquacomp, and others would mill that into the block instead of the top if it would just cost them more, right?

There has to be a reason for them doing it then. I can't imagine EK, Heatkiller, Aquacomp, and others would mill that into the block instead of the top if it would just cost them more, right?

Perception of quality and aesthetics (if you want a pretty looking block with a transparent top, then you pretty much have to do it that way). Yes, it'll provide a tiny bit of extra surface area but not in any areas that really matter.

I dont know what the fuss is,Swiftech have always been like that....

The channel in the top is the most efficient method and also saves on CNC time milling both sides,What they should of done is passed the savings on....which they didnt.

Interestingly,Its the much vaunted US manu's using that method.

I will stick to Watercool and MIPS.

I suspect the reason milling into the copper is in the fins, on both the koolance and swift shown they have cut down into the surface to make the fins, because of the thinner copper and the water channel being on the surface of the copper plate the fins have to be kept far shorter.

On the aquacomputer and heatkiller they've gone for longer fins and the easy to do that is to use thicker copper and cut the channels down into it.

You could make a flat plate with tall fins but that would involve milling the entire surface down except the fin area.

Other big advantages to the flat plate design is greatly reduced flow restriction, it simply doesn't require as much energy to push the water through the block, it will depend on the top of course, the key thing is you're not trying to push water through the narrow restrictive fins but push it over the top or short fins.

If there is any crud in the water then it could easily catch and block up the fins on the tall design which could cause all sorts of issues, on a short fin design if the fins get clogged then it doesn't block the water flow just reduce the ability of the block.

If the price is $160 then yes I agree that's overcharging, but how did you come up with that cost as AFAIK these are not sold separately and I doubt this is what EVGA pays for them.

Actually here's one corner that gets cut and I really don't like, solid capacitors, they always used to be mounted with a little black plastic shoe, so it would fit flush and securly on the pcb, now most manufactures don't bother and just solder them on like any other capacitor.

It's not a bad thing it's just one of thoes little extras that gets cut out to save costs.

I think its a bit much when you drop a hundred pounds or so on an SSD or 16Gb of RAM that it turns up in those plastic blister packs... I'd rather it came in a brown 'eco-friendly' cardboard box.... blister packs just stink of pound shop to me... and they're a right pain to open.

I hate to b*tch about retailers, but it has to be done... 3 days after making an order with Performance PC's (after having previous issues as well), I get an email that they're out of stock on 3 pin fan y-cables. And because of this, they've held up my whole order and will ship it when they get them in stock. Wtf? I had this same thing happen when I tried to order Tygon 3603 (yes, that is the NORMAL tygon tubing) and they were "out of stock." More WTF? This is kind of feces. And I also am in the process of trying to RMA an alphacool radiator with them, which they are making overly complicated by trying to get me to keep the clearly defective radiator for a 25% discount. What a joke all of this is.

Can't you just ask them to remove the y cable from the order and ship?

I know I get the same thing here in the UK with Scan, but the email always includes the options to wait, drop the item or replace it with something else.

One thing I've always worked with is that if I have to have something right now and cannot wait then I don't order it online, I go out to brick and mortar store and buy it, it might cost more but it's the only guaranteed way to get it right now.

The difference in price on those full cover blocks is amazing. I can see the reasons for differing the manufacturing techniques. But considering the price of the video cards to begin with and then purchasing a block that will fit only that card, the cost gets quite prohibitive. That is, in part, why I am going with an XSPC gpu block that can be utilized on another graphics card. Asthetically the full cover blocks rule, but we have to make choices.