Mod your own PC with supplies from Mnpctech!
2010.mnpctech.banner.jpg

The Fractal-Design Define series of Mid & Full towers have Black factory sound dampening foam on the side panels. Here are the steps to installing a custom window in any Define model case.

I'll be doing this install without the Black U-channel window molding, so the panel has clean look.

Make first initial cut with your Dremel and reinforced cutting wheel, to allow use of Jigsaw and cut the window more efficiently

district9_d9_coolermaster_840_casemod_mn

You have created a slot to allow a Jigsaw w/ 18 TPI cutting blade. The blade will cut through the Steel and sound dampening foam. You will have to periodically clean foam debris from the Jigsaw blade.

Using a Jigsaw is much quicker than using a Dremel to cut your window

I'm removing 1/4" of Black foam from the edge of opening with X-acto knife, so I can install Clear acrylic window with 3M 4010 Tape.
fractal_design_define_r2_r3_xl_window_mo

Using Flat head screw driver to peel off the 1/4" of sound deadening foam

This is where the modification become very time consuming.

Reside left on the Steel after peeling off 1/4" foam

Small particles of the foam will melt onto outside of window, that need to be removed.

Using small hand file to remove small particles of the melted foam.

To remove residue of the foam, I dabbed Sunnyside brand Mineral Spirits to a piece of cloth and rubbed off the residue. The Mineral Spirits did not effect the factory paint finish on the Define R3.

Residue of foam, before applying Sunnyside brand Mineral Spirits.

Foam residue removed.

Now you can install Clear acrylic window cut to the dimensions of the exposed Steel, with 3M 4010 Tape

clear_acrylic_sheet_casemod_mnpctech.com

Thanks Bill. I'm assuming that a heat gun wont work in this  situation to hasten the removal of the Bitumen ?

Makes sense, as that will cause melting and weaken,melt and tare of pieces which is exactly what you want to avoid.Hence the use of the Mineral spirits.

I'm just real concerned as to not ruin the outer side of the right panel that was done with Creations in chrome shooting that has been applied to it. I have to tape up well and maybe have the panel raised from the edges so to avoid excess friction when removing with screwdriver/knife/etc combo  :unsure: