If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

Continuing the build some more for your daily dose of modesty...

The rads I chose to go in this build happen to be Alphacool's Monsta 480's. Seven of them to be precise. Namely because they're nice and thin. In fact, at only 80mm thick, they may not have enough surface-area for this build....

One of my favorite things that I see on a semi-regular basis are watercooling neophytes actually thinking this is rust! :lol:

hubris_080.jpg

Last time I checked, copper doesn't rust, but somehow they assume Alphacool has achieved rust on these and applies it to the rads just before they ship them off simply to anger, frustrate and confuse unknowing customers. And people say I'm paranoid...

For those not "in the know", this is on purpose. Painting the core of a rad is nothing short of stupid. To minimize complaints and questions about the "ugliness", they do a multipass spray-job on all their rads and lightly hit the edges of the fins so it looks sort of painted.

Personally, with every build I'd love to just get my hands on exchangers prior to being sprayed at all and I'll handle the coating on this end like I do anyways.

Anyways, moving on.

Fan choice is Corsair's quiet-edition high-pressure fans.

hubris_081.jpg

A total of 56 of these fans, actually. Eight per rad for a push/pull setup. See? Nice and modest.

hubris_082.jpg

Throwing on some gaskets in some areas to minimize vibrations even more, although the fans already have some nice anti-vibration corners anyways.

hubris_083.jpg

A quick install to see how they're going to work. Not going to keep the socket-cap copper screws, though.

hubris_084.jpg

This one is mounted on the upper-side of the case, to see if I'll have enough clearance for some other things I have planned.

hubris_085.jpg

A shot from inside the case looking out the upper-side.

hubris_086.jpg

Client has requested some fillports for all the loops to be put in somewhere in the case to make things easier for him. I'd be happy to oblige!

I decided on a total of six separate loops; three per system for nice and modest cooling.

I'm thinking the fillports would look great right about here, under the top shroud.

hubris_087.jpg

Marked out and getting ready for some quick surgery...

hubris_088.jpg

And commence drilling!

hubris_089.jpg

Rinse, repeat five more times and slapped in some of the customer's supplied gear, including a bunch of fittings. We weighed a single bag of supplied fittings -- came up to 30lbs! :D

hubris_090.jpg

I've set up three more of the Monstas for the top assembly right next to the fillports. Two of these will be linked which will be cooling the client's main system dual-CPU loop. The second single Monsta up top will cool the opposite system's dual-CPU loop. Modest cooling!

hubris_091.jpg

And installed for a dry-run to see how it will look. Those copper end-caps will be replaced by the client's supplied stop-fittings to match everything.

hubris_092.jpg

Let's go ahead and link the two Monstas together using a pair of 90-degree CC5 compression fittings. Tubing choice for the build is Mod My Toys 1/2-3/4 clear tubing, BTW.

hubris_093.jpg

And all done!

hubris_094.jpg

Oh, here's a shot of the two modest PSUs installed and ready to run this little system.

hubris_095.jpg

I'll be back with more to share soon! Toodles.

holy frig frag... what will this beast be utilized for? areospace station computing?? would look nice in my living space might have to move around a few things like rip out the fridge to be able to fit this in there xD

I've been enjoying the updates on this build from the P-PC's facebook page. This thing is absolutely insane. Seeing dual CPU boards makes me really miss my SR-2. I'd love to be able to do something like this for no other reason than to say I did. Hope everything goes smooth for you the rest of the way. Can't wait to see it finished.

Continuing on with this little build...

Reservoirs.  Yes.  Must figure out what to do about that situation.

Well, obviously, we must keep things low-key and modest.  Point #1.  Also, must make it hold as little liquid as possible.  And for six separate loops.  Hmmm.

Since we're using EK products in here, let's keep it in the family, only this time it's a good idea -- even if your sister's a barrel-full of fun sometimes you just have to pass on the 5th refill of Everclear and say no.

hubris_096.jpg

I dunno.  Seems a little large.

hubris_097.jpg

Hm...  That's a little better.  But let's work on that a bit.

hubris_098.jpg

Yeah, I think that would fit with plenty of room to spare!  Now, just need to combine the two since EK doesn't sell a modest-enough 400 version of the D5 pump combo top...

Also, need to work out what to do about the mounting system.  Hm.  EK's system is operating under the assumption you're actually sane and mounting the pump on say a mobo-tray area or something, like a normal person.  But that's not going to work in this modest situation.  So this requires some customization and creativity.

Digging around in the shop a bit, I came up with a decent system that will give the pump/res combos some "legs" to stand up on.

hubris_099.jpg

And using some old friends here, to give them a bit of "vibrational insurance" if you will.

hubris_100.jpg

And assembled!  Nice and....modest.

hubris_101.jpg

A quick little test dry-run fitment...  Looks fine.

hubris_102.jpg

To go any further, I must take a few mins to install some 5.25 bay peripherals to make sure I'm going to have enough breathing-room in this little case. I tossed in one system's gear, or at least some of it.

hubris_103.jpg

I should have enough room, sure.

hubris_104.jpg

Continuing with marking out where I'm going to need to do some additional surgery on the case...

hubris_105.jpg

Oh, did I mention I needed to make six of these?  Yeah, three for each side of the case, for modesty's sake.

hubris_106.jpg

I should have oodles of space after these are installed.  Speaking of which -- how am I going to get fluid into them without removing them?

hubris_107.jpg

Seems to be tons of room between the res of the bulkhead... 

hubris_108.jpg

Let's toss in a few more fillports there!  That way we're keeping within the client's request for fillport feeding to the systems' loops.

hubris_109.jpg

And Swiftech's SLI fitting sets seem to fit just about right...

hubris_110.jpg

Should work out okay.  Now I need to do the same thing on the other side to match.

hubris_111.jpg

I still have plenty of things ahead of me if I'm going to keep the modesty nice and prominent.

hubris_112.jpg

I'll be back with more in due-time.  Toodles!

Wow, just wow, someone has a lot of money to spend.

Those blocks look so good on the motherboard, but compared to the heatsinks EVGA stuck on it the chipset and VRM blocks do actually look more modest.

Well smaller and neater.

As to copper "rusting" rust can refer to "any film or coating on metal caused by oxidation." especially when used as a verb not a noun.

Granted the roots of the word come from old saxon, where it is specifically the red or orange oxides of iron based metals, so "rust" is still more closely related and used for iron oxides than oxides of other metals.

Oh and if the copper was oxidized it would look blue and green not red or orange.

Yup, patina. :)

Again another tricky word, because it also means "The sheen on any surface, produced by age and use." you'll often hear it used in the antiques trade referring to the colour of old, well worn, wood, which is actually starting to become more dominate meaning in common usage than a layer copper oxide on copper based alloys.

Language can be such fun. ;)

EDIT: quick question, is there any major modding actually planned for this build other than shoehorning that tiny modest system into that little tiny case?

For the relative cheapness of this build I'd of thought spending a little extra on a custom paint job would of been doable. ;)

Yeah, agreed Pob!  That's part of the reason why it's not an "E.E.L." project; just not enough actual modding going on.  It's an excercise in excess though.  ;)  I even mentioned to the client about that -- paintjob, etc. but rather keep it "low-key".  lol...  About as low-key as an airport guidance tower....

Some minor modification has occurred on the case, but I'll post that soon.  Been really swamped with othert duties!  I want this thing gone though -- been working on it since January!

I can't believe you got yourself to type "low-key" anywhere in the thread. Even if it was in quotations. This build is so over the top ridiculous it's not even funny. Don't get me wrong it's kinda cool to actually see that case used to it's full potential. But to see not one but two systems that I could never hope to build crammed into one case with full water cooling is absolutely dumbfounding. And the fact that you've been working on assembling this thing for almost 5 months is insane as well. I know you've had other things to do besides this like putting a window in some PITA customers side panel a month or so ago. But still, that's a crazy amount of time. Hope that's it gets done and out of your hair soon. Because I'm sure it takes a stupid amount of space, and I'm interested in seeing it completed.

Cool build for sure but I really would like to know what camera and lens you are using for the pics? They are really clear...I'm guessing you are not using special lighting?

I can't believe you got yourself to type "low-key" anywhere in the thread. Even if it was in quotations. This build is so over the top ridiculous it's not even funny. Don't get me wrong it's kinda cool to actually see that case used to it's full potential. But to see not one but two systems that I could never hope to build crammed into one case with full water cooling is absolutely dumbfounding. And the fact that you've been working on assembling this thing for almost 5 months is insane as well. I know you've had other things to do besides this like putting a window in some PITA customers side panel a month or so ago. But still, that's a crazy amount of time. Hope that's it gets done and out of your hair soon. Because I'm sure it takes a stupid amount of space, and I'm interested in seeing it completed.

Heh heh, all in good fun.  :)

It wasn't just that build over that time period; I had plenty of other things I've needed to take care of, but it's be regularly worked on since then, yes.  And believe me, I want this thing done more than anyone -- probably including the client!  It's given me a lot of sleepless nights, that's for sure.

So this is the moddest build, awesome. :lol:

Yes, sir!  :D

Cool build for sure but I really would like to know what camera and lens you are using for the pics? They are really clear...I'm guessing you are not using special lighting?

Nothing special at all, just a point-n-clicker.  SLR work will be at the end for final wrap-up photos.  It's all in composition.  Lighting as well. Film school and years of photography experience also helps.  ;)  Quick hint:  leave the flash off and make sure white-level is correct!

Update time!

Been really busy with other commitments at home so haven't been able to spend any of my practically non-existent free time updating logs.  But here's one!

Time to take care of some plumbing, so the tubing chosen was Mod My Toys brand tubing, in clear 1/2-3/4.

hubris_113.jpg

Continuing with the fillport situation here...

hubris_114.jpg

I needed to run some fittings to those bulkhead ports.  But the problem is, due to the thickness of these modest rads, I ran out of room/space to get fittings under there.  So some tight tolerance, measuring, and ingenuity prevailed.

Since I was running 1/2-3/4 tubing in here, I just couldn't get a series of fittings under the upper-chamber side-mounted rads, so I decided to drop down a bit in size to my personally-preferred tubing size, 7/16-5/8.  :)

hubris_115.jpg

With a 90-degree fitting and an extender (to allow the compression collar to go on the fitting without hitting the bulkhead fitting), I could drop in a 7/16-5/8 (CC6) fitting on the ports and allow installation of the rads, or at least, according to measurements.  It worked out just fine.  And it fit in with the modest look of the build too.

hubris_116.jpg

Here's an overhead shot...  'scuse the "aluminum dust".  ;)  Looks like a 6-cylinder! :P

hubris_117.jpg

These intermediary lines will connect the external fillports to the reservoirs themselves. 

With the plethora of mods I've built over the years and the relatively smaller percentage of logs I've done for a small amount of them, it's still no big secret that I'm a fan of top fillports.  I just like the ease-of-use, you know?

With one of the side rads installed on the case for a test...

hubris_118.jpg

Literally, about 2mm of clearance.  :)  Works for me!

Alright, let's run some 7/16 tubing to the fillports along with some Koolance QDCs for easy removal...

hubris_119.jpg

Another modest angle...

hubris_120.jpg

Those lines, obviously, go down to the two sets of three res/pump combos mounted inside the main chambers.  Getting those custom combos I put together installed is a rather...interesting task...  Requires some maneuvering that's for sure.  :)

hubris_121.jpg

Once in place, I bolted down and replaced the stop-fittings for the drain ports for crystal fittings so I can drop in some LEDs in there, just to lighten the mood a bit.

hubris_122.jpg

I've been pressed for time on a lot of this build so I needed to move quickly in some areas, so I needed to get the complexity of the plumbing worked out and done without much thought beyond making sure things work right and look elegant, and most of all, modest.

And to keep the cleanliness and understated look to things, I decided to hardline some of the loops due to the complex angles and differing heights of components.  Using regular tubing in these situations really shows the limitations of it (such as bend radius).

hubris_123.jpg

hubris_124.jpg

hubris_125.jpg

All the hard-lining is on the mobo itself due to clearance and tidiness issues; all the other tubing runs are normal.

I needed to complete the 3rd loop which was the GPU loop, but didn't feel like running even more tubing down the middle channel, so figured cleanliness would prevail again.  Bulkheaded it instead.

hubris_126.jpg

Again, 'scuse the "dust".  ;)  FYI -- Don't mod with your gear installed unless you know what you're doing and know how to isolate and protect things!

hubris_127.jpg

...And cleaned up.

hubris_128.jpg

Line runs right down to an angle-fitting that runs directly to a QDCed hookup to the bottom side-mounted rad.  Easy as pie!  And most of all, modest.

hubris_129.jpg

Quick shot of the condition of things before the dreaded leak-testing starts!

hubris_130.jpg

I'll be back soon with some more to share.  Toodles!