If you are having any issues logging in please contact: kyle@themodzoo.com

23RO_UK

It's an APU thing...

Whilst I wait on the fabrication of some parts for BackDraft and my need for a second machine proper (not a laptop) I decided to pull the trigger on this little lot -

• ASUS F2A85-M PRO
  • AMD A10-5800K
  • XIGMATEK Prime SD1484

Now when you consider it weighed in at just £195 (£230 if you include the memory), I'd say it was a steal :D

SN1iUiw.jpg

gjDuspI.jpg

3Iy6qGd.jpg

XIGMATEK Prime SD1484 and memory installed

UVJhKxC.jpg

Kinda tight fit...

yl0VzA1.jpg

Over the next few days I'll bench it ghetto style (I've yet to decide on a case so it now sits proudly on a Nike runner box lol) and see what it yields ;)

As for it's future...

Hmmm watercooled second machine with home server/HPTC undertones, I've yet to decide :P

Right here are some initial benches

The test setup was as follows -

• AMD A10-5800K @ 4.4GHz / IGPU @ 894MHz
  • Viper 3 Series, Black Mamba, DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit (PV38G213C1K) @ 11-11-11-30 2T

First up CINEBENCH R11.5 (64 Bit)

l48vCP5.jpg

Next Custom PC Benchmarks Suite 2007

qDjytpM.jpg

And lastly Unigine Heaven DX11 Benchmark 3.0

qglEBj0.jpg

Now on a hunch I tried running Heaven again this time with the CPU @ stock and the IGPU @ 950MHz

UxCTE0f.jpg

Hmmm it can hold 950MHz on the IGPU @ stock but it causes problems at 4.4GHz...

Something to investigate further.

@ AMD, Thank you for making overclocking fun once again :D

Amd is fun but tricky. I hate and love my trusty 955be. Blck will go up to 250 and multi up to 30 i think. But i have damaged one core trying to push below 15min in super pi. Guess 1.65v on a single core is bad :P

Amd is fun but tricky. I hate and love my trusty 955be. Blck will go up to 250 and multi up to 30 i think. But i have damaged one core trying to push below 15min in super pi. Guess 1.65v on a single core is bad :P

lol

Ultimately overclocking is all about trial and error, you live and learn fella ;)

I've done some more testing and it's all good really :)

Following my hunch with the IGPU being able to run at a higher clock speed with a lower CPU clock speed I re ran Heaven once again...

CPU @ stock and the IGPU @ 1013MHz

9me5Tcc.jpg

Now to figure out how to maintain that with a high overclock :P

Secondly I've achieved my target of a bombproof 4.5GHz :D

• AMD A10-5800K @ 4.4GHz / IGPU @ 894MHz
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), DDR3 PC3-14900 (BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU)

Note: The native speed and timings of the memory are 9-9-9-27 @ 1866MHz, however these little gems I've discovered will run at 9-9-9-25 @ 2133MHz ;)

Custom PC Benchmarks Suite 2007

m4qaep4.jpg

What more can I say...

For 230 quid, that's what you call true bang per buck!!! B)

wow nice results! i have been looking into a really mini mini lan box and have found some boards with no pci e ports and was wondering how well the amd apu would stack up in some 1920x1080p thank you for this bit of info, i was thinking these things were going to a sneeze compared to my 4100 fx. lol now upgrading to the 8 core vishera piledriver 8320. but seems i may have to give these apu's a tinker for some real fun o.c : ) clock on my friend! i'm eager to see how you can keep pushing it for better results : ) maybe get a minumum of 15fps? :P

Ok try 4.6GHz :D

• AMD A10-5800K @ 4.6GHz / IGPU @ 894MHz
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), DDR3 PC3-14900 (BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU) @ 9-9-9-25 @ 2133MHz

k7FP71Q.jpg

3AkIcg1.jpg

Following on from my hunch with the IGPU being able to run at a higher clock speed with a lower CPU clock speed I re ran Heaven even higher...

CPU @ stock and the IGPU @ 1085MHz

CWzHruA.jpg

I'm going to have to work on finding the happy middle ground for this ;)

those are some excellent scores for that resoluttion just curious but can you do a run for me at 1440x900 a friend of mine runs that res and am having an idea for a small project that may lead to some more clients for me in the future ; ) would like to see a run at 1440x900 @ stock clocks but i'm not going to make you lose all your o.c settings for just a little measly request so the clocks you have now will work. just for the curiousity of it, thanks in advance man!

those are some excellent scores for that resoluttion just curious but can you do a run for me at 1440x900 a friend of mine runs that res and am having an idea for a small project that may lead to some more clients for me in the future ; ) would like to see a run at 1440x900 @ stock clocks but i'm not going to make you lose all your o.c settings for just a little measly request so the clocks you have now will work. just for the curiousity of it, thanks in advance man!

As per your request -

Stock CPU and IGPU @ 894MHz (It's what I run it at day to day until I sort out the cooling proper)

0amoUt1.jpg

Basically it blitzed it ;)

Well I've had the APU for a week now and after a bit of trial and error I've settled on a balanced bomb proof day to day setting of -

• AMD A10-5800K @ 4.3GHz / IGPU @ 950MHz
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), DDR3 PC3-14900 (BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU) @ 9-9-9-25 @ 2133MHz

From the benchmarks below I think you'll agree it's not to bad a compromise between the CPU clock speed and that of the IGPU :D

PCMARK7 RESULTS LINK

wdgneBF.jpg

CINEBENCH R11.5 (64 Bit)

8Es5RZ5.jpg

And lastly Unigine Heaven DX11 Benchmark 3.0

GyCLCry.jpg

sweet! that scores better than my friends athlon IIx4 at 2.9ghz and his 5770 o.c to 950/1200 lmao he's not going to be happy.. thank you for the info : ) and grats on the bombproof clock! ; )

sweet! that scores better than my friends athlon IIx4 at 2.9ghz and his 5770 o.c to 950/1200 lmao he's not going to be happy.. thank you for the info : ) and grats on the bombproof clock! ; )

Your welcome and thank you  :)

Time to spill on the upgraded cooling :D

One of my all time favorite air coolers was the Xigmatek Aegir SD 128264, brutally efficient, easy to mount and very pleasing on the eye...

Even better when you pick one up new for just 20 quid in a clearance  :P

Now what fans to use???

They needed to be high speed, high static pressure but PWM, hmmmm.

Well without further adieu...

Enter the Piranha

D1boQr8.jpg

wgxdJxJ.jpg

Uodb15N.jpg

Think Scythe GT1850's with PWM and more static pressure and you have the Akasa Pirhana ;)

They are absolutely quality!!!

I now have a new favorite fan  :wub:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Chatbox
    There's a thing here. Somehow it moved to the top of the page, but I didn't do it. No, really! But still, Cheaps is likely to blame...
    You don't have permission to chat.