E.E.L. Ambiense

The "that's impossible but true" watercooling-failure thread!

Here's a simple thread for dumping pics of dumb*ss moves for watercooling.  Feel free to post whatever you wish, as long as it's dumb watercooling moves. 

I'll open it with a link to all my logs.  LOL, just kidding --or, am I?  :lol:

Was just handed this.  Here's the block mentioned on ep13 podcast regarding torque-wrench use... 

May I ask the obvious question -- how do you even do this?  All I keep picturing is busting lugnut posts off, but in watercooling.  Can't hit the nail on the head anymore than that I suppose!

post-3-0-83157400-1368815602_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-02896400-1368815629_thumb.jpg

Ilogicality!

Ouch...

betting Petra will have tails to share.... Oh Lawd, Jesus, It's a Leak.

Oh yeah, I've seen that one a few times... usually accompanied by a customer saying that the threads must be defective (which was actually the case once... and only once). I've also gotten the "my waterblock is defective, leaked, and ruined my motherboard" when the customer forgot to put the o-ring back into the block after taking it apart (same goes for pumps). Metal fittings crushed/shattered by hose clamps, lots of "defective" radiators punctured by fan mounting screws, dead wasps stuck inside pump impellers, etc., etc...

At some point, I should compile a list or something. I may still even have some photos.

Well this is water cooling right? Essentially plumbing? That's why I always use a pipe wrench  B) (NOT).  If they aren't cross-threading it in the first place, they are over-tightening it.  I'll bet you some out there think "Acetal" is some new kind of special black metal product with tons of strength. "I bought Acetal so I could really crank down on the fittings now it leaks WTF OMG CHEAP BS BLARGHAGH RABBLERABBLE"

LOL.  My favorite is, "Acetal?  Can I get it in Delrin instead?"

No, but we do have one available in POM.  ;)

It's so stupid to fasten fittings with a torque wrench, I guess he watched that NCIX and Newegg watercooling guide lol. Those guides failed pretty hard. I wouldn't be suprised if he used glue instead of TIM :p

It's so stupid to fasten fittings with a torque wrench, I guess he watched that NCIX and Newegg watercooling guide lol. Those guides failed pretty hard. I wouldn't be suprised if he used glue instead of TIM :P

LOL @ glue instead of TIM... i almost had some energy drink come out of my nose on that one.

LOL

Had another one today where the guy apparently torqued the mounting screws on an EK GPU block so hard it busted the heads off....multiple times...and left the threads in the standoffs installed on the block itself.  Good thing the standoffs are threaded and removable on EK's blocks, or at least most of the current GPU blocks. 

*shakes head*  How do you even do that?  It really doesn't take much at all to install a block properly.  *shrugs*

It's so stupid to fasten fittings with a torque wrench, I guess he watched that NCIX and Newegg watercooling guide lol. Those guides failed pretty hard. I wouldn't be suprised if he used glue instead of TIM :P

To be honest, I've been known to install/remove certain fittings with spark plug sockets (occasionally also using the socket wrench)... but that was partly for speed and partly to save my poor fingers.

Alright, what genius at Phobya re-designed their "Xtreme 200" rad like this?....  Really, guys?

*facepalm*

measure twice.... cut once

Buy one O-ring, get one free!

You know when you buy a bag of mini candy bars, and one of the bars got smashed in the middle by the bag sealer? Well, this is the same, only it probably involved a sleep-deprived Chinese guy instead.