Well, a visit at hospital made me go into my "idea folder" to pick up something to work on while in bed.

(have a bad back making some troubles sometimes and need monitoring at hospital, nothing serious)

So i picked up a thing i have wanted to do for a long time.

Its all planned and all measures fixed. As i have a truck load of LED´s left from the WOPR i focused on something to do with theese.

And here it is.
The Thinking Machines Corp. - Connection Machine 2, or CM2 for short.

This beast was a big boy from the 1980´s supercomputing era and has a good looking outside.

As usual, im not doing it full scale, this one is planned about 20x20 inches.

The real deal have 43 LED´s per CPU board, and it have 8+8 boards per cube.
That gives a total of 2752 LED´s in the real one.
I have scaled this down a bit, but will still look nice to 8+8 lines and 24 LED´s per column, with a total of 1536 LED´s, 3mm ones.
The LED´s were used to show when a CPU were active wich made a nice pattern of lights, later on the ended all sequences with a special activation of the CPU´s to draw text or pictures for visitors. Dont know if i want to get into that really :)

Have made some orders for the material, as for now the build will start after the CRAY is done.

Need to keep up with my brain well in bed too, so here goes one more build in the works :P

A fast rendering of the CM2 in my dimensions.
Dont really have time for all details, i will build them instead of put them into the drawing :P

cm2ren.jpg

And the real deal!
CM-1_500w.gif

...I thought you were sick of LEDs?

My understanding too, but i cant let this go, i want it :)

And it wasnt so bad soldering for the WOPR, and this one isnt that advanced.

Probably finish up the CRAY and then run this and the WOPR paralell on the workbench.

Cool stuff. I wonder to simplify your LED work to use the LED light strips with all the SMD LEDs already in place. Would save you a lot of time soldering and all that. <RandomIdeas>

Cool stuff. I wonder to simplify your LED work to use the LED light strips with all the SMD LEDs already in place. Would save you a lot of time soldering and all that. <RandomIdeas>

Had my mind into that also, but i dont get individual LED´s so i can just light them in rows/columns. And the spacing is way off.

(checked some generic china ones).

I think i will do the same thing as on the WOPR, split them in 10 "clusters" and hook them up to a light controller, but i dont need to be crazy about wich LED is lit when, just hook them up in a nice pattern and thats it :)