mirrors-edge-logo.jpg

By: Complx

Hello everyone!

Time for my 2nd scratch built case! This time the focus will be around one of my favorite games of all time, Mirrors Edge.  And with Mirrors Edge 2 being announced at E3 this year, I thought, what a better way to celebrate than to build a case around the art direction from the game.  I will be using this thread as a complete build log, from design, to CAD modeling, construction, and finishing. 

So lets get started shall we!

One of the many reason I feel in the love with the game was the look and feel of the environment, as well as the game play itself.  The environment was very vibrant, bright colors, a stark contrast to a lot of the dull brown a lot of games seem to have.  For those of you who have not seen or played the game, here are some images for it that I drew inspiration from.

mirrors-edge-pc-3.jpg

14-mirrors-edge-the-city-3.jpeg

City3.jpg

mirrors-edge-review-20090112061044536_64

For now, all that I have is an initial sketch of what I hope the final design to look like, I will be doing some photoshop work to it and do more sketching and drawing to get some of the finer details work out in the beginning.

A overall ideas I have at the moment about the design

•  Completely white exterior, one of the prominent features of the game is its use of white in all of the exterior buildings
  • Bright colored interior, again, the use of very vibrant colors on the interiors of the buildings was interesting to see and I want to incorporate that into the design as well
  • Need to be clean, inside and out, no mess no slop. 

If anyone has anything else they would like to add say, feel free to comment!

I hope this goes well and thanks for viewing!

Stay Tuned!

qOdTCeZ.jpg

Feel free to check out the livestream channel, I will be doing a lot of CAD modeling of this project, and you can watch the progress as I go. Times will be random, but check every so often, you might catch me at a time when I'm streaming!

Twitch Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/complxdesign

I've never played the game before but I might have to check it out now. Just from your sketch this looks to be the start of a very promising build. I'm ready to watch you take this journey and look forward to seeing it completed.

You need to do a sketchup for the layout. The components in your concept are wildly skewed. -For instance two 240's with fans as big as you have them there would take up most of the case interior.

Since there aren't any windows, you can turn the motherboard 90 degrees and add an internal wall to mount it to. Otherwise, you can offset the rads to one edge and move one to the front face to get a better fit.

I like the drawn shadow. I thought it was part of the design at first. A vent + red baseplate would be a nice feature.

At all costs, please try to keep the dimensions close to the perspective sketch.:D Even if it means using 3 x 140 rads instead. Tall and thin is a good look.

You need to do a sketchup for the layout. The components in your concept are wildly skewed. -For instance two 240's with fans as big as you have them there would take up most of the case interior.

Since there aren't any windows, you can turn the motherboard 90 degrees and add an internal wall to mount it to. Otherwise, you can offset the rads to one edge and move one to the front face to get a better fit.

I like the drawn shadow. I thought it was part of the design at first. A vent + red baseplate would be a nice feature.

At all costs, please try to keep the dimensions close to the perspective sketch. :D Even if it means using 3 x 140 rads instead. Tall and thin is a good look.

Cheap, I love how detailed you are!  A lot of what you addressed is stuff I knew had to be done, especially the part layout model.  I know they are horribly skewed and not to scale AT ALL.  The part layout was to get a general idea of how I want things to be laid out within the case.

Not sure about windows yet, like I said, still concepting and getting an overall feel of how I want it to look.

As far as a base plate, I didn't think of that at all, so it could be a viable option.

Thanks for the detail critique,  I know I have a lot of work ahead of me!

Wow what a cool case concept - reminds me of the Silverstone FT03, I definitely can't wait to see more of the concept rendered in 3D.

I think it'll be neat to see someone do this design correctly instead of making it look like a modern trashcan (FT03) :D

I'm sure you will make this a very clean build, that's just your style in the things you do.  Maybe a long skinny window to show of the bright inside colors / Kind of like a peek, So you want to look closer to see what's within?  Maybe something like this in a vertical orientation , less the frame. 

yl3d.jpg

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/12270890925428794226?q=stainless%20steel%20trash%20can&client=firefox-a&hs=1Vt&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48340889,d.aWM&biw=1280&bih=869&sa=X&ei=kg7LUZXDB4mY9QSjloHIAQ&ved=0CJoBEPMCMAE

I think I've found a quick and dirty option for your case body. Build a frame that holds everything, and build this into a slip cover. -Reinforce the fanguard areas with plexi before you cut.

I will be starting some of the CAD modeling today, if you would like to stop by and watch the progress, join me here:

http://www.livestream.com/c0mplxpc

I will be here for a few hours, so feel free to stop by!

Also, there will be a lot of CAD work with this project, so I will be streaming the progress from time to time, check the link I posted in the first post every now and then.

Nope. Watching someone else CAD would be worse than watching someone else drive.

I know how you feel Cheap, though personally I love seeing how people develop ideas and how they get to the final solution.  So I figured there are other people out there that feel the same way, also, it could be fun!

Update time!

So its been about a week since I started working on this project and already I'm having ups and downs with the project, but it comes with the territory and with each challenge and set back, it make me put more time and effort into creating a better final design than I originally hoped.  As the saying goes, you learn more from you failures than your successes.

So at the beginning of this project I was unsure of exactly what hardware I was going to use (Mobo, GPU, PSU, etc)  Of course the parts are going to influence how big the final design is going to be as well as how they are laid out within the case.

So I decided I would try for a full ATX motherboard and a few extra goodies to model up.  Well, after I got most of the model completed, I realized that the final model was going to be massive, 15" wide, 15" tall, and 36" tall.  Overall, I think this might be just a tab bit overkill, the sheer height of it dwarfs most full tower cases, its a full foot higher that my 800D, which is large case on its own.  So for the time, im headed back to the drawing board to see what I can come up with, might be moving to a small mITX or mATX motherboard for the next version.

JBn11Ysh.jpg

ifbMp8Dh.jpg

IJfCi3Hh.jpg

NHjnsaUh.jpg

8WqOaOCh.jpg

Back to the drawing board I go!

I really like your design and agree, that thing is massive.  That's the kind of build you decorate a room around lol.  Looking forward to seeing your next designs.  Have you thought doing the same type of design for the case but putting a clear acrylic cover over the hardware?  You could do a frosted decal for the designs on you cover on the acrylic.