Hello Munky,

If you have been having any issue registering, or logging in please email kyle@themodzoo.com.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

184 posts in this topic

:lol: I never thought I'd see ClosetMaid shelves in a computer. I hate them too! Tenants bend them, rip 'em out of the walls, and they get sticky when they get old. I've never installed any myself. They magically appear when a tenant "upgrades" their closet.

-I'll shut up now...

The Master of reducing inanimate objects to the beaten raw form and recreating them into something individually unique that screams pure class and finesse...

Looking at your creative workmanship once again just yields new details I'd missed on the first glance, truly awe inspiring Bro B)  

As a big fan of aged and weathered builds . . . this is amazing. The effect is just perfect. I wish I had half your ability to apply to my own builds . . . Awesome. 

Cheers

Fen

Great update. Just be careful from here on out,I would hate to see you scratch the paint.

Great job on the weathering effects looks like your starting a rebuild after in was dropped off the grand canyon and left to rust.

Thanks, man!  That's the beauty of weathered stuff -- if you scuff it, you won't know it.  ;)

That battle damaged window has me drooling, nice work!

Thanks, bro!

:lol: I never thought I'd see ClosetMaid shelves in a computer. I hate them too! Tenants bend them, rip 'em out of the walls, and they get sticky when they get old. I've never installed any myself. They magically appear when a tenant "upgrades" their closet.

-I'll shut up now...

Hahah, it's true!  It seems like every rental has these bloody things.  And they do get sticky -- the hell is that about!?

Looking at this again, I discover new details I missed...

this is turning into my favorite project by you....

Thanks, bro!  Wow, fave project?  I better not drop the ball on this!

The Master of reducing inanimate objects to the beaten raw form and recreating them into something individually unique that screams pure class and finesse...

Looking at your creative workmanship once again just yields new details I'd missed on the first glance, truly awe inspiring Bro B)  

Thanks, Paul!  I appreciate the kind words.  It's more of an exercise in using garbage/refuse and trying to reuse it for something it wasn't intended for.

As a big fan of aged and weathered builds . . . this is amazing. The effect is just perfect. I wish I had half your ability to apply to my own builds . . . Awesome. 

Cheers

Fen

Thanks, man!  This is just the 1st pass on things though; it'll get a little more "authentic" when I go to wrap things up.

Edit: Don't sell yourself short, bro.  Your Apocalypse project looks awesome!

Ohhh man, love your graphics and details

....Can I has?

Posted Image

funniest feces I've seen on the forum so far. LOL. This is an awesome build. Looks great and looks like a ton of fun to build.

Quick lil' Update!

I had an hour or so that I could give to the project, so I figured I'd attack a couple more items I needed to get to.  Let's get to it.

I needed to begin work on the MNPCTech handles to make them match the project more, because frankly, they belong on something sexy and hot -- not a POS low-end case like this.  :lol:

clunk031.jpg

And after the 1st pass on them, they look more like this...  I guess they've taken a few tumbles end over end before.  Who hasn't though?  ;)

clunk032.jpg

A quick spray-down of the wire shelving with some Bulldog and some of my fave 'camo' rattlecan paint (both black and brown so I used both) I had left over from the BIO-A10 project that needed to be used up.  Looks a little less like a shelf now.  ...Not really.  lol  :D  

clunk033.jpg

I also got the front intake fan sleeved and began installing it on the front panel.  Even the modder's mesh is left over and re-purposed, lol.  This stuff is so easy to work with too.  I wanted to "dome" it out a bit so I merely pushed it with my fingers and shaped it roughly where I needed it, installed the fan and Overkill ring, and finished pushing it out with my fingers through the blades.  Worked perfect!

clunk034.jpg

Installed the front shelf, err, "battering-ram/bush-guard" on the panel and placed it up on the chassis for a quick look. 

clunk035.jpg

I'm going to work on the guard too, so it won't be so pristine looking for long.

clunk036.jpg

Alright, not much to show this time, but I'm getting somewhere at least.  Sorta.  Kinda.  Maybe.  :P

Toodle-soupskies!

EEL_ind_sig.png

Update time!

I'm trying to get somewhere on this thing, but seems like it just continues to ferment and grow like a pot of rancid yeast.  :lol:

Digging in my pile of long-lost and disingenuous misfit parts, lol, I had pulled this off a LiLi case.  Can't recall model, and really doesn't matter.  It'll work in this instance.  I needed something I could use to give the owner some external front USB ports, and possibly audio ports, as well as give me a place to slap a power switch on to.  This worked for that.  I made a little square piece out of some scrap acrylic and drilled it out to fit a 22mm Bulgin switch.

clunk037.jpg

I had to snip off and bend the "ears" out and drill four holes to give me a way to actually mount this thing onto the new front panel.  Being aluminum (aluminium for Kyle) it makes things rather easy.  Plus if I mess it up a little it won't matter as it fits the decimated theme!  Not pretty and not meant to be. 

clunk038.jpg

Speaking of Bulgin switch -- I actually still had some real Bulgin switches laying around, not those junk Chinese knock-off ones you see everyone selling and using now; this one's from the company Bulgin.  You can tell by three ways -- because it's silver metal...

clunk039.jpg

...It has these screw terminals instead of cheap solder tabs....  And it weighs about 3x that of the knock-off ones. :lol:

Another tell-tale sign it's a real Bulgin switch is by the satisfying 'thud-clank' it makes when you push the button instead of the cheap 'clink-clink' that the other ones make where it feels like the switch will fall apart.   :D

clunk040.jpg

Bulgin installed.  Should light up green according to the housing on the back -- haven't tested it just yet.  LOL.

clunk041.jpg

And installed on the panel.  Looks okay...  but I think it needs something more.

clunk042.jpg

I need to fill those gaps on the top and bottom so you can't look right into the inside of the case and see all the stupid wires, etc.  So back to the scrap pile for some mesh.  Aluminum (aluminium for Kyle) modder's mesh is easy to bend so that works perfect.  Measure and cut and sprayed to the fit the theme a bit.  Didn't spend a lot of time on it as it's not a big deal.

clunk043.jpg

Quick slip behind the edge and it holds by itself, but I ran a bead of hot-glue along there just in case...  Works pefect.  And installed on panel again.  Fills the gap nicely!

clunk044.jpg

Looks fine! 

clunk045.jpg

I'll be back with more when I have the time and something worthwhile to show, but it's all relative, right?  :lol:

Tüdelz!

EEL_ind_sig.png

I would turn (aluminium for Kyle) into a wordfilter if you weren't so religious in adding it. -I think adding that little bit manually each and every time is the extra special twist added after the knife goes in. I can only hope Kyle appreciates the care you take while teasing him.:D

Hahah, I try man.  I didn't know if anyone even noticed, but I laugh at myself every time I do it, lol.  It's funny how it's now habit to drop that in there (and in any log since last year or the year before I believe), kind of like muscle-memory. 

forgot to mention

I stumbled upon this limited issue publication by RECOIL,

Sold Out,  maybe I'll find at Barnes&Noble or Ebay

OFF GRID, http://www.offgridweb.com/

offgrid-cover.jpg

btw, EEL is using several Mnpctech products in CLUNK, in additional to the billet handles and Overkill rings, hes using the Triple brain drain rad grill from PPCs

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_362_540&products_id=25842&zenid=0d71f16480dff52d825654e8062576f2

MNPCTech-BrainDrain360-SL_01.jpg

http://www.mnpctech.com/MnpctechBillethandle.html

heavy_duty_handle_black_aluminum_mnpctec

120mm Overkill Fan Rings Link, 120mm Overkill Fan Grills

120mm_fan_grill_overkill_ring_mnpctech.c

Thanks, bro!

LOL, anyone else find it ironic that a mag called 'Offgrid' has a website?  ;)   That looks awesome though; I'll check the newsstand and if I can track one down.  Should be entertaining to flip through.

Hmmm.. reading PC build "hog wash" ... Mad Max... CLUNK.. I had a vision of a dbl barrel 12ga. about to upload some justice...the head bursts... now the download - "Brain Drain" - oh hell this is looking awesome!

Right, more clunkin'.  Update time!

I needed to start work on the opposite panel.  I decided in my experimentation to use some stuff I was going to toss out anyways, and take a page out of the Book of Bill.  I cut up a rotary tool / accessory case and used it to create the base for an "engine" type feature.  It fit almost perfectly, so I trimmed it down and rounded off the sides to make it a little cleaner. 

I'll be adding a lot of additional stuff to this, as well as multi-layer paint to it.

clunk046.jpg

I had an analog temp gauge that I really wanted to use so this fit perfectly.  It's kind of pointless to use as an actual gauge, but a dress-up would work fine.  Oddly enough, after beating the hell out of it, it still actually works fine.  LOL.  It lights up with an amber glow.

It's an "Oh-Sh*t-O-Meter"!  Yes it actually says "sh*t!" on it.  :lol:

I raised it up off the panel with a spare project box I had.

clunk047.jpg

Another shot of the poopadilly...

clunk048.jpg

Some other decaling (is that a word?) going on around it...  'Kinetic energy', lol.

clunk049.jpg

Some more...

clunk050.jpg

A little tribute to the Bitfenix stock name of the chassis used here, tongue-in-cheek.  :lol:

clunk051.jpg

Here's how I added some piping to the side panel's dressing...

I drilled a couple holes in some spots that looked like it would have some piping going on with my 11.8mm drill-bit that I modified for use with acrylic (since I tend to work with the material a bit...) and used my G1/4 tap to thread in for fitting use. 

I had some stupid rotary comp fittings that would work fine for this kind of look so I used 'em.  :P

clunk052.jpg

Threaded in the fitting...

clunk053.jpg

And done!

clunk054.jpg

The pipes run to and from the project box with the meter on it, as well as....yup, a DDC stock housing. :lol:  I have a ton of these dumb things laying around so I figured I'd add one to this.  I'll dress all this up a lot more; just laying the groundwork for it.

clunk055.jpg

Finally, you know what kind of gets under my skin as a watercooler?  Closed-corners on fans.  I just really hate them.  Especially when you don't have the right length screws for use with a rad and a radgrill, and you really don't want to have to make a special trip to the hardware store simply for screws (and knowing they won't have much of a selection of metric screws anyways because the US sucks like that). 

So you kind of have to take it into your own hands and modify the blasted fans so you can use short screws behind the fan's ears against the rad and use two sets of screws to install everything (which makes it a lot easier on me).  Personally I like doing things that way as I can use simple coarse-thread fan screws to install the fans already installed to the rad.

clunk056.jpg

Simple rotary tool cuts (and minding the wiring on the fan so you don't brick it)...

clunk057.jpg

I'll be back with more, and hopefully soon.  I really need to clean out all these projects clogging up the shop.  Like LilyPC.  Man, I've taken a short break on that one haven't I?  :lol:

Toodlerumpskin!

EEL_ind_sig.png

Awesome work EEL. I was flipping through and saw the pic just above when you were tapping the plastic and at first I thought you had cut yourself. Then I realized you had just added a border to the pics. Anyway very nice use of materials and great work with the weathering and paint effects.

Clunked. :D

:lol: Rotary tool case guts! I'm guessing you hollow out the cases and re-purpose them too. I put tool cases on the "next time you see a trash pile in a vacant house..." list. I have about seven now that I haven't found a use for.

Everyone should have a shit gauge. -'specially babies, that way you know when the mutherload is due.

I've found a few of those closet maid shelves in BBQ grills. You're checking the condition of the house and say, Oop, where's the shelf in the closet?

@Zophar - It's a cropping injury.:D