Hello Munky,

If you have been having any issue registering, or logging in please email kyle@themodzoo.com.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

184 posts in this topic

No wonder you hate prodigy's so much - 100+ The upgrades you made were really cool. I've had to hide my credit card several times and remind myself that I'm a Modder, to keep from buying one. ha ha

Update time!

Been a bear trying to get out to the shop to work on this what with all kinds of other projects going on non-computer related, or just familial issues becoming a c**k mod-block for my creativity.

Anyways, here we go.  Hold on tight!

1st up, while cleaning and reorganizing the shop (again) I came across an old GPU I had stashed.  It's an oldie but served me well. 

clunk074.jpg

She still has an ole EK block attached, which I'll need to refresh the TIM on it, etc. but I think it might be okay.  I hope.  :/  I'm going to donate this to CLUNK as the owner's system is using on-board video.  Yeck!  :lol:

clunk075.jpg

Radeon HD4850, with that...gorgeous....red PCB.  LOL.

On to other things...

While cleaning I also came across a large ziplock bag of aluminum pieces.  I was confused, and then I recalled what they were...  While modding a ton of the old ATCS chassis from Cooler Master (back when they had good classy chassis, that is), I kept a lot of the stock front door hardware from the models with the acrylic door on it; can't recall model # and don't care to look it up.  But that's what they were.  Solid, thick, mitered billet aluminum. 

So...a couple pieces found a new home and new life with CLUNK!

clunk076.jpg

They fit perfectly right between the handle's mount points on the front of the case, and looked like it fit in well.  So I weathered them up, drilled some holes, tapped those holes, and slapped them on the ass on the case.

Some more angles of them...  I like the way it looks.

clunk077.jpg

clunk078.jpg

Moving on...

I continued internal wiring for switch control and lighting.  I installed a green LED strip up top inside the chassis to give an indirect mobo-area glow/shine down onto the area.  It's now wired up to the 1st of the two toggle-switches up front.

clunk079.jpg

...And glowing.

Before you ask, yes, on the left there, that's also a new addition.  I decided to drop the other res-top for the pump and change it to this one, which I apparently had tossed into a box and forgotten about.  I cleaned it up reasonably well, then I weathered it up a bit, although it really didn't need it.  The neglect it suffered took care of a majority of that already. :lol:

clunk080.jpg

It's an EK DDC top with res attached.  Can't recall model again, and really don't care.  It works fine and I think it'll end up being better in the long-run.  The other one would have made it difficult to get it installed in this case due to space constraints, especially after learning I'll need to shoehorn THREE HDDs in this case instead of two that I originally thought was going in it. 

So I decided to get creative with the way things are installed.  The HDDs aren't going in the stock HDD slots like originally intended; I had to make a vertical bracket that will hold them inside the stock HDD cavity, but standing "upright" to make some more room for me to get the pump in. 

The pump, as you can see, required me to fashion a custom bracket that will allow me to "hang" it from slightly above the HDD area, as well as being slightly below where the GPU will sit.  It'll work, but it'll be tight.

clunk081.jpg

Originally I had drilled and tapped a pair of M3 holes right along the 5.25" bay structure as there is just enough meat there to get it on there perfectly.  I had some mobo standoffs installed on it before but decided something more interesting needed to be used.  I'll get back to all that later on though.

clunk082.jpg

Also donated to the project is an old Corsair HX620 PSU.  She's an old one but a good one, OEMed by Seasonic (which is why I got it in the 1st place).  It's been sleeved before, but I removed everything down to the black wires which fits for this project.  But the fan needed a replacement since the one I put in there was shot.  Luckily I had another Yate to go in there!

After some weathering, painting, wire-shortening and re-pinning, she's ready to go back together.

clunk083.jpg

I had some more of the cast-off mesh I had been using on this project so I decided to replace the wire grill with something more fitting.

Quick jumpered test to make sure she works...

clunk084.jpg

Also, sleeving was done on the 24-pin and EPS cables with are 'hardlined' on the unit...

Inspired by electrical lines on any car's engine.  :D

clunk085.jpg

PSU is even more quiet than it already was so that's a plus too!

clunk086.jpg

I'll be back with some more shtuff when it's had time to rust a little bit more.

Toodles!

EEL_ind_sig.png

OMG! You almost showed the entire case in that last pic! You must be getting ill or something.

LOL!  True, true.   Hahaha

No wonder you hate prodigy's so much - 100+ The upgrades you made were really cool. I've had to hide my credit card several times and remind myself that I'm a Modder, to keep from buying one. ha ha

Hahah, and the worst part is I'm not exaggerating.  Thanks man!

Awesome, as usual, EEL! Look forward to seeing more!

Thanks, man!

Had to read the entire thread again... Looks killer!

Thanks, bro!  Hoping to wrap it up soon too.

Masterful as always.  Nice touch with the armor plating.

Thanks, bro!

This is gonna FUN to see when finished, diggin of the details man...

Thanks, bro!  I'm trying to kill this pig off so I can start the next one.  And the one after that.  And after that.  And after that...

Ah, Yes. The one you started a thread for, then reality kicked you in the nards....

Electrical tape in cars usually is greasy and partially unraveled, and a little sticky from 'shrinking' where it was stretched to tight.

Lovin every bit of it, and that attention to detail is just mind blowing. Great work so far, cant wait to see more. 

Thanks, bro!

Ah, Yes. The one you started a thread for, then reality kicked you in the nards....

Electrical tape in cars usually is greasy and partially unraveled, and a little sticky from 'shrinking' where it was stretched to tight.

Which one?  :lol:

Wow, really?  I had no idea, what with having been elbow-deep in cars since I was 14.  <---sarcasm prevalent yet?  :P

Great project so far, Jeremy

Look forward to more updates.

Thanks, man!

Doubtful Max would carry heat shrink or mdpcx sleeving after the apocalypse. ..hehe 

Soundtrack for this project log...

Hell, it's difficult to find before the apocalypse.  :lol:   Wait--  unless it's already started....  **looks out the window**

OT:  Man...  FLA.  Seen them a few times.  One of my fondest memories of shows was an FLA show during the Hard Wired Tour '96.  Still have and wear the t-shirt too!  Awesome live.  They really kicked butt.  Bill Leeb was cool to meet.  Their newest album is really solid too!  Echogenetic.  Here's title track:

Well, after a mere pittance of time passing since the last update (i.e. 6 months :P ), I figured I'd state that this log is far from idle...  but that's the extent of what I can say at this point.  Let's just say it'll be something that's never been done before in the project log/modding world, and I'm really not worried about whether or not it sets the bar up a little bit for how things are done -- I'm just doing what EEL has always done.

Aside from that, let's drop a few things in for an update that I've worked off and on for a little bit the past few months -- at least on the case itself.  :)

1st off, I decided I would trim down the 4-pin ATX connector so it's relatively short and I can connect direct the header on the mobo instead of trying to chase it around and hide it behind the mobo or on back side of the tray (which is impossible in this poopy case).  Besides, I want to see it -- it's a cobbled together apocalyptic thing, right?

clunk087.jpg

Next up, I had been modding the old EK block I had from a castoff project into something that fit a little more.  The final system will be AMD-based, so I made the block look like it belongs in the case.  I also custom-wired a pair of LEDs that are designed to fit direct into the LED-holes on the block, and controlled via front panel's toggle switches for internal lighting control.

clunk088.jpg

The side of the PSU was a little bare, so I added a little 'jazz' to it.  Couldn't really think of anything catchy to put on there until this popped in my head...

clunk089.jpg

And here's the PSU re-installed in the case...

clunk090.jpg

I had come up with an acrylic cover that would mount 3 HDDs for the owner of the case, but didn't like the idea for ease-of-use in case he needed to change out drives, so I came up with a different plan.  I gutted the stock drive area entirely and created a new triple-HDD slide-and-drop-in rack out of acrylic.  It's all glued together and solid as a rock.  Only thing he would need to do is remove back panel, slide out old drive(s) and slide in new drive(s).  I even created a triple-SATA power cable that will directly align to the drives.  Was a pain to get it done, but it works.  That's all that matters! 

I have a dead old drive in there to test-fit it.

clunk092.jpg

And finally, I decided the back panel needed additional work.  I didn't care for the DDC pump parts I had modded onto the panel.  It looked...okay... I guess.  But I was already getting the occasional comments that recognized it was a pump there hidden on the panel and didn't realize it wasn't actually a pump running the loop in the system, lol.  "Hey, you'll have a hard time filling that!", etc.  LOL.  Yeah I suppose that would be difficult if that really was the pump.  But it isn't.  It never was.  That's the Facebook generation though -- in regard to project log literature: too long; didn't read.  :rolleyes:

Anyways, here's the deal: some idiot had dumped a bunch of car parts into a dumpster, and I did the Sanitation Dept a favor and permanently borrowed some of said parts.  :lol:   With some paint-work and weathering, I turned white plastic into something resembling metal engine parts. 

So, here's the new, improved back panel.  I like it a lot more than the old version!

clunk091.jpg

There's a little somethin' there.  I wish I could reveal more....  But I'll just say that I greatly appreciate the continued patience.  Things will 'end' soon.  I promise. 

Toodles-toe-cutter!

EEL_ind_sig.png

Haha @ cheaps!

Soo nice to see update to Clunk, Does this mean you'll be joining us on Google Hangout, July 6th, 4pm CST to share your build?!!!!!!! 

I'm still without crucial components for my build.... and told Toby I may be still working on mine during the hangout

Mini-update!

As things begin to draw to a close, I can trickle out some other developments like a 3 y/o that's potty-training!  :lol:

Back to the ancient GPU being donated to this project, I severely dislike the red PCB on the card and really want to cover it.  It's oooooogly.

clunk093.jpg

I don't want to paint it, so next best it so make it 'fit in' with the project a little more.  So that means making one of my long-time fun mod project thangs I do -- a backplate.  It seems it's become a practical main-stay now in the modern modding age, including manufacturers making them available on stock cards, lol.  But they're still cool, aren't they?

I'm going to step it up and enclose it on both sides though.

clunk094.jpg

Closeup of little windows that I added some modder's mesh...

clunk095.jpg

And another...

clunk096.jpg

I'll have a lot more later on -- I just can't tell you when.  That would ruin the surprise.  :)

ToodleSNAFU!

EEL_ind_sig.png