Here we go again!

small12.jpg

This time with a Lian Li Q30.

This will be my htpc and home gaming PC.

Components:

Intel i5 3470s

Gigabyte H77N-Wifi

OCZ Vertex II 60GB

Seagate 320gb HDD

650w PSU (dont know the brand)

HIS HD 6870

I have a nice vision of the built, continuing on Lian Li's new curves with this, and some modifications that may be a little different. Stay tuned for a lot of aluminum, lexan, and cap screws. :D

DSC03881.JPG

i better get my file ready....

DSC03902.JPG

all 6 pieces (2 of each for the sides) before filing the edges to mirror.

DSC03903.JPG

a little mock up never hurt anything.

DSC03904.JPG

and here is a little teaser of what will come tomorrow!

DSC03911.JPG

I like that your thoughs are outside the box in fact you've thrown the box away B)

Please use round headed cap screws :ph34r:

When I looked at what you did with the aluminum side panels I got a big feces generator smile on my face. That is so cool. You know someone did something right when you instantly wish that you had done it!   Watching this build all the way B)

I like that your thoughs are outside the box in fact you've thrown the box away B)

Please use round headed cap screws :ph34r:

yea these are the only screws i had, to the hardware store!

yea im trying to go out of the box on this one i guess. lol

got a lot of stuff done over the weekend. Im am trying to make a dead line of wednsday for powdercoat so i can get them on friday.

starting on the floor of the case. a little crude a the moment, but im kinda designing as I go.

DSC03914.JPG

this should be enough room for the cables. i wish i had a modular power supply.

DSC03915.JPG

DSC03916.JPG

got some longer button head screws and they look so much better!

DSC03925.JPG

DSC03923.JPG

here is where im going to put the led strips. I have ordered 4 - 24cm strips.

DSC03926.JPG

MNPCTech bezel with some notches to allow for the psu brace.

DSC03927.JPG

and a look at the back. There will be a cover over the entire back, but the leds will light up the tail of the acrylic, once i frost them. I also have to clean up the cutout for the psu.

DSC03930.JPG

I have also epoxy’ed the bolts to the case, since the aluminum on the original case is too thin to tap.

This was a pretty big update, but I have to get some more aluminum for the back cover, bend it to shape, and then get everything sanded and out to powdercoat.

But that brings me to a question for you. One three side panels, what should the colors be? remember there will be white light coming from in between each panel. So there will be separation between black panels.

DSC03904.png

I like black silver black (A)

Also, I really like the conversion to an ATX PSU. I might have to think up a way to do that with mine, but with the other ideas I have, I'm not sure if that's going to be feasible or not(space wise)

I almost feel like there should be a 3rd curved side piece, or the first one shouldn't be squared off. I think it would flow better with out that square corner

as in the (if you can say it this way) the bottom one? i.e. largest? I have thought about that too, about making it more of a point than a corner.

E: All black, with the edges sanded silver.

you know me too well :D

DSC_0007.JPG

@Mike, Mentioned your log in Ep #15 of our Podcast ...should be posted this week or next B)

ooo! 

worked on the back panel tonight. also sanded all the panels in prep.

I still have to cut out the psu hole and the 120mm hole for the radiator, once i know where i'm going to position it.

I have ordered a Corsair H60 for cooling. My Gigabyte H77N-Wifi arrived today, and I paired my i5-3470s with it

DSC03931.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

DSC03935.jpg

A quick look inside so far. Still a lot of structure work to do. Rad mounts, ssd/hdd mounting, and cleaning all the existing aluminum up.

DSC03934.jpg

I also frosted the tips of the exposed acrilic. This should give a nice glow from the back.

DSC03937.jpg

and the bottom should be done with modding. just waiting for the led strips to come tomorrow.

DSC03939.jpg

Dude... just had an epic idea...

I have something like this for art hanging on my wall:

Could do something like that, with the panels... the LEDs between layers could refract light off them. That would be really really awesome

Looks great.  I vote for option D - all black. This will give the case symmetry as I find the colours (silver or blue) distracting the fin look of the case (all black kind of reminds me of a shark).  The lights emanating between the panels will set them off but keep the flow.  Just my humble opinion.

Cheers

Fen

im thinking of just doing all black and accenting with a color that looks good on sleeving/ram/etc. But i have quadrupled the weight of the case. Lian Li built this case to be light... and I ended up giving it armor :D. I will make my final decision of colors tonight when i get the leds mocked up.