HCP

Wargames WOPR computer

So basically, if I'm seeing this correct, you're using a transistor, which is opened by the red-knot wire, to turn on the LEDs? That's pretty much what I was planning for with an upcoming build. Progress is looking good. I need to get a real soldering iron... I've just got a battery operated one that runs of 4 AA batteries. It works pretty well when the batteries are fresh, but that's about it lol

Yup, the red knot wire comes from a 10 channel light controller, and thats limited to 2A totally :)

With 1400 LED´s i break that 2A pretty fast, so to turn on 9 different clusters of LED´s this works great, as the PSU drives the LED´s, not the light controller :)

Battery operated soldering iron? do you get batteries in the mail every thursday ? :)

Accepting sponsorships from drill bit manufacturers? I like how big you think! This is exciting to watch your progress.

Haha, its only a 1mm thick plastic added behind the LED panels, so the LED´s dont stick out trough the hole so much, i use the ALU panel as guide when drilling, but its too delicate to do with power drill, so its hand made.

Current status, its bondo time.

Tonight i tried to get the shape of the "tower" 100% but whatever i did, it didnt look right.

Until i cut a inch from the length, then the tower fit and all proportions is 90% spot on.

I have some strange thing with the tower, it looks too wide, but really isnt too wide.

So now i have cut the length, made a new tower piece and bondo it all over.

Alot of sanding to do before i put on some primer to check all small spots to fix.

Right now it looks like Poopadilly, but you guys who seen the WOPR probably can visualize it :)

While the bondo dries, its time to make the left panels ready. I want it standing by itself today!

w3.jpg

I was wondering what became of this. My lights dimmed the other day, I thought you might have turned it on. You really got inspired to Mod this week, that's great, because your projects are totally unique.

Been working on this the latest weeks and finalizing most of the parts.

Also had to strip all base paint due to flaking, that took some time :P

Next step is a layer of base paint that can be sanded to fill the pores and scratches, and glue all stuff together.

The WOPR is alive, and its time to get it together, right now :)

woprglue.jpg

Last weekend i decided to make big changes. When i first started the case project i used a noname Sketchup model that i refined to what i was thinking looked good.

I have cut the case on the width, and the length and got changes going for the "tower" atleast 5 times.

Now, i found that some proportions, angles were off from the real model.

So, last weekend, i decided to...

Start over...

Well, not really, i keeped the lower part and just remaking the top part, in acrylic instead of styrene plastic. Better strenght and also better base to put paint on later.

All electronics and LED-panels will still be used.

After two weekend of working, this is where i am at now.

Rocks on pretty sweet, i have done this one time before and knows what troubles i had last time. So putting all together goes really quick. Cutting all pieces took most of the time.

Right now its just a matter of putting all pieces together, and plan for the insides.

(Sorry for the mess, i cant clean the desk just for some pics ;) )

The WOPR 2.0

I started off with a frame and some quarter pieces of wood.

wopr20-1.jpg

Frame and side pieces holding the LED-panels are done.

wopr20-2.jpg

The current status. Held together with some tape.

wopr20-3.jpg

I'd love to see you complete this, and I'm sure you would too. Funny every once in a while I think about this. It's not like you to take on minor undertakings, so it's understandable stepping back and dealing with something less involved. We'll know it's done when the news reports major power outages in your region!

Ah, yeah! WOPR project is at defcon one. Good to see you back at it. It would have been a shame after all that soldering.

Haha, i have permanent memories of that soldering :P

After some hours, i sat with the iron in one hand, solder in the other, and used my mouth to straighten the solder...

In a confused moment it was not the solder i put in my mouth...

I reacted quick, just burned my lip a bit :)

Do you still have the revised WOPR drawing you did for your WOPR project? I have a CNC router table and I am considering building a half scale WOPR to put in my man cave to put my computer and home theater equipment in.

Thanks, Norman

I have a couple of versions, but none of them are perfect as i re-booted the project when i found stuff i did wrong :)

I will release the files when i have time to add the changes.

I have a 4th x 8 ft cnc router table, as well as a small laser table. I have been wanting to build a WOPR for years. I just needed decent dimensions to work from. I will probably machine patterns and make fiberglass molds to make castings from.

I can't wait to start on this. I have a friend who does circuit board design who is going to set up the Let's and displays for me.

Just curious, how long is the ordinal 1:1 WOPR?

There is no official measurements of the WOPR avalible.

I have asked many who worked on the movie, worked on the prop and no info avalible.

The movie prop itself is lost too since long time, so its a hard fact to get hold of.