Sign in to follow this  
drougnor

Make your own Fluoroscein dye from Yellow Highlighters!

I've done a modification of this process for years starting in college - You take a highlighter, most commonly yellow, pull the dye tube from the marker and drop it into a large bottle of water. After the dye has spread through the water, put that sucker up to a black light, and boom, you have a glowing colored bottle! For a bonus, add a bit of laundry detergent to add a milky blue/white base to the mixture that is especially vibrant under black light!

Fast forward to this weekend when I find this gem of a video -

Some research shows that Flouroscein is generally safe for water cooling loops, but it is a biodegradable chemical, so expect it to degrade over time.

I'm sure you can repeat the process with other color markers, but Yellow is the only one that produces the pure Flouroscein solution. The others, I'm not sure of, and would therefore be suspicious of their long term health for water cooling loops.

Also, expect that this WILL stain - It will permanently stain the tubing, your skin, any cloth it touches, any surfaces you look at - If a cat comes within 20 yeards of your stash, expect randomly glowing footprints.

Enjoy!!

I laugh my feces generator off when i see ....

This is a ink not dye. Ink contains solvents, not only do they eat at the plastics but all so destroy seals. tut tut

Flouroscein Is a chemical on its own and is used with a combination of other chemicals to make it into a water cooling dye so it doesn't screw over your system. Inks use dyes but are a a different composition.

Next you'll be using a Bic pen to make black or blue.

I laugh my feces generator off when i see ....

This is a ink not dye. Ink contains solvents, not only do they eat at the plastics but all so destroy seals. tut tut

Flouroscein Is a chemical on its own and is used with a combination of other chemicals to make it into a water cooling dye so it doesn't screw over your system. Inks use dyes but are a a different composition.

Next you'll be using a Bic pen to make black or blue.

Most highlighters are water based Mick......you could probably tell from the plastic casings they come in,they wont damage o-rings and seals if they are water based.

Solvent highlighters went out a few years a go due to the VoC regs.

Staedtler's comments on solvents.  http://www.staedtler.co.th/xylene_faq_th

They are the biggest out there.

First off, these are highlighters and not permanent markers. Also, the video uses only yellow, and not the other colors, of which, as I stated above, I have NO idea what chemicals are used, and therefore won't advocate the usage of.

Secondly, If you watch the video, you'll see that the removal process leaves the water soluble 'fixer' in place, removing the dye for refinement.

As B NEGATIVE pointed out, there are no solvents in common highlighters, and if you aren't certain if you have the proper type or not, draw a line on your finger. If, after it dries, it washes off with simple water, it's the right kind. If it doesn't wash off without a solvent, AND smells funny/makes you high, DON'T USE THIS KIND!

Absolutely, and I was hoping to ask you about Fluroscein yesterday, and what kind of damage it by itself might/might not cause to a water loop, but you had left for the night.

However, as the process highlights one of the core tenants of the modding community, I, with some urging, thought it'd be cool to share, esp since it will hopefully get people to think about what we normally take for granted in a different light.

Fluroscein on it own is perfect for water cooling and will not stain if used in small amounts. The trace powder is quite cheap however if you going to get it get a very high grade as there is not only just Fluroscein in the powder there many other binder chemicals that can have issues. You can get 90% Pure via normal consumer methods how ever look for 98% pure if you can.

if you really after saving money then get some "WATER TRACING DYE" that is ecologically friendly and comes withh a MSDS Sheet and the correct information and regulatory marks.

1 Gram of powder is enough to do one hell of a lot of systems. If you would like some Fluroscein as a tester from me i can provide you with some pure stuff that is highly concentrated.

When mixing the powders use Boiling treated water to mix them with and then seal it in a bottle and store in a dark environment. They will last a good few years if done like this.

I will still say this pen idea is a bad idea and its not cost effective.

Pens + alcohol + heat + danger = bad

Fluroscein Water tracing dye + boiling water = 100 better idea and way cheaper...

I used to use the tracing dye when working on broken waste water runs,very,very strong colour,Mick is not joking about that.

Not sure on the staining aspect tho,It did make a mess of my hands tbh.

Some day I'll gather both A) the testicular fortitude, and B) the money (The kids have to graduate and move out at SOME point) to build a custom loop and dive into water cooling. At that point, I will quite likely look into the tracing dye route.

However, I am curious, what are the other dyes/chemicals that are used to get the other common fluorescent colors?

@B-neg -Nothing like dieing your hands pink and getting seen by a police officer somewhere.:lol:

@Drougnor - I think most are pure UV additive + color. The stuff in detergent that makes it glow and makes clothes "whiter" is a colorless UV-sensitive dye.

Cheaps the Stuff in washing powders isn't a dye its a Optical Brightening Agent. They come in many different forms from powder to Liquids. To make white look whiter they add UV clear blue. I think if i remember there are 90 variation on a theme (but actually 400 items of which 90 are used) when it comes to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_brightener