23RO_UK

Here's one for you boys and girls...

A mate of mine has bounced a question at me and I thought I'd bouce it off the animals at The Zoo  :D

Traditionally a loop follows the following format, a simplified example being -

Res > pump > rad > CPU block > GPU block > back to res

His question was is there any reason why he can't use the following format on the basis the GPU runs hotter than the CPU and so would benefit with receiving coolant before the CPU.

Res > pump > rad > GPU block > CPU block > back to res

Thoughts guys?

As long as you end where you start (i.e. start at the res, and end at the res), it does not matter what components are in what order in the loop. So there is nothing stopping your friend from not running the loop that he has planned for. 

As long as you end where you start (i.e. start at the res, and end at the res), it does not matter what components are in what order in the loop. So there is nothing stopping your friend from not running the loop that he has planned for. 

That's exactly what I concluded also Jesse, it just seems tradition as such that we feed the CPU block first and the point is valid that a GPU does in fact run hotter...

Anyone else care to venture an opinion?

Your friend has a point, we worry so much about getting our CPU under water whereas we should be focusing more on the GPU as that sucker runs really high.

I'm pretty sure everyone will agree with your friends loop, but I would like to hear from some more experienced ppl here to see if they see any flaw.

Your friend has a point, we worry so much about getting our CPU under water whereas we should be focusing more on the GPU as that sucker runs really high.

I'm pretty sure everyone will agree with your friends loop, but I would like to hear from some more experienced ppl here to see if they see any flaw.

I thought it a valid point to, I've been watercooling for years and hadn't even thought to configure a loop in that manner.

Unless you're dumping a tremendous amount of heat into the cooling system through one particular block (e.g. a TEC block), then the actual coolant temperature rise across a typical waterblock is very small (less than 1 degree in most cases... depending on flowrate, heat load, block, etc). The tiny coolant temperature increase is why I typically tell people not to worry about waterblock order. If it makes more sense due to your case layout to go pump>GPU>CPU>radiator>res>back to pump, then do it.

As for focusing on GPUs because they tend to run hot... Well, yes, they do tend to run hot but they're also not as temperature sensitive as CPUs tend to be while overclocking, so a degree or two in either direction won't really make much difference.

he could run 2 rads, and stick one in the loop between gpu and cpu (or vice versa, depending on which way he wants to run it). that way it gets a little cooldown before sucking up some more heat. that's the config i went with this time and am noticing awesomely low temps with a decent overclock on both.

I think most arrange based on flow. The CPU block gets to be first because they usually have jet plates 'n stuff. Rads and reservoirs are just before the pump 'cause they have a big gob of water in them to feed the pump during filling, etc.

-But you guys know all this.

The CPU block gets to be first because they usually have jet plates 'n stuff.

Order in the loop doesn't really impact the performance of impingement blocks... aside from the previously mentioned tiny coolant temperature differences.

I run my loop GPU first.

2XNp0uP.jpg

It was just easier to do the loop this way,

There is no real difference in performance in regards to loop order.

As for block order,Petra is correct,the CPU is the more temp sensitive component and is normally running closer to its TJmax,while the GPU,although it can kick out more heat,is running much lower than TJ max...even with a crappy loop.

Petra is spot on with this one, per usual. I know from a plethora of research that overall liquid temps vary little from the time liquid enters your radiator, to when it exits. If there is a large difference (~>3*C) then you have a problem with the loop, unrelated to the order of your blocks and components. 

Bill and I spoke with Petra on the phone yesterday and he helped clear things up about pumps and such as well. Watercooling information on the internet appears to be about 90% speculation and theorycrafting, and 10% facts.  :P

Petra is spot on with this one, per usual. I know from a plethora of research that overall liquid temps vary little from the time liquid enters your radiator, to when it exits. If there is a large difference (~>3*C) then you have a problem with the loop, unrelated to the order of your blocks and components. 

Bill and I spoke with Petra on the phone yesterday and he helped clear things up about pumps and such as well. Watercooling information on the internet appears to be about 90% speculation and theorycrafting, and 10% facts.  :P

Depends who you ask......

I would be a big fan of AIO if companies would push themselves to make something different and better. Everyone is making the same thing, and there are really no choices.

• Make colored tubing or fluid available
  • Improve mounting system to allow for easy attachment to graphics cards
  • Make them expandable
  • Use higher quality components, especially rads
  • etc. etc.

I would be a big fan of AIO if companies would push themselves to make something different and better. Everyone is making the same thing, and there are really no choices.

• Make colored tubing or fluid available
  • Improve mounting system to allow for easy attachment to graphics cards
  • Make them expandable
  • Use higher quality components, especially rads
  • etc.

Tubing is a very specific low loss tube that doesnt come in colours.

You can get hseries cooler mounts for GPU's

But then its a custom loop.

Then the price goes up making it not as attractive to those on a budget,ie 90% of the people buying them.

AIO's fill a very welcome niche for a price point( most AIO's cost less than one of my pumps),coupled with a warranty. EK wont cover your kit when it goes wrong but Corsair (example,probably the best of the bunch but also the most popular) do.   The hate heaped upon them is really irrational......

AIO's fill a very welcome niche for a price point( most AIO's cost less than one of my pumps),coupled with a warranty. EK wont cover your kit when it goes wrong but Corsair (example,probably the best of the bunch but also the most popular) do.   The hate heaped upon them is really irrational......

Corsair doesn't manufacture them, that accolade (read between the lines here) falls to CoolIT and they suck donkeys c*ck to be fair!!!

oh and their RMA procedure is even worse...

Though I agree the concept of AIO for most is adequately suited.

JUST DON'T BUY A RE BADGED COOLIT 

Corsair doesn't manufacture them, that accolade (read between the lines here) falls to CoolIT and they suck donkeys c*ck to be fair!!!

oh and their RMA procedure is even worse...

Though I agree the concept of AIO for most is adequately suited.

JUST DON'T BUY A RE BADGED COOLIT 

Actually,im pretty sure Asetek make the Corsair coolers...

http://www.asetek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:corsairr-and-asetekr-partner-to-bring-advanced-liquid-cooling-to-pc-consumers&catid=7:news&Itemid=1#&panel1-3

For the purposes of warranty,Corsair make them,when you buy a Corsair AIO the RMA is not handled by Asetek or Coolit.

The Swiftech H220 existed for a while in the US, but that is a great starter AIO, that can be expanded.

You can thank the jackasses at Asetek for the H220 disappearing ( http://www.swiftech.com/pr-7-19-13-h220-removedfromus.aspx )... Swiftech might have a shot at winning if it weren't for this sort of litigation being cripplingly expensive to resolve.

Actually,im pretty sure Asetek make the Corsair coolers...

http://www.asetek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:corsairr-and-asetekr-partner-to-bring-advanced-liquid-cooling-to-pc-consumers&catid=7:news&Itemid=1#&panel1-3

For the purposes of warranty,Corsair make them,when you buy a Corsair AIO the RMA is not handled by Asetek or Coolit.

CoolIT do -

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/products.html

They are re badged ECO II units

And I was referring to the Corsair RMA procedure based on experience B.

You can thank the jackasses at Asetek for the H220 disappearing ( http://www.swiftech.com/pr-7-19-13-h220-removedfromus.aspx )... Swiftech might have a shot at winning if it weren't for this sort of litigation being cripplingly expensive to resolve.

I know, I read the whole letter from swiftech and It was sad. Good thing I already have one.