Hey folks,

I'm modding up a SFF chassis as a LAN tournament prize and need some advice on painting it.

I'm going for a urban digital camo style look similar to:

camo.png

The case is currently black powdercoat. 

I was wondering if the following would work:

Mask off black areas I wish to keep on stock panels

Spray etch primer and leave to dry

Spray light grey and leave to dry

mask off light grey I wish to keep

spray dark grey and leave to dry

Pull off masking to reveal the light grey and black

Spray matte clear coat

Would this work? Or would I be left with a very uneven surface due to the depth of the primer and 2 colours vs the stock black powdercoat?

Your best bet: Remove the powder coat.  Though, powder coat is pretty spensive stuff.... so... Up to you.

you could try Plastidip spray of different colors.  With that you're better off using templates and not tape, as you do have to remove tape fairly quickly from your surface or the plastidip will come off with it.

Powder coat is an excellent surface to paint over.Just use scuff pad to prepare surface. If it has a textured surface wet sand with 400 grit.

Look for some camo templates like these to speed up the process. No primer after process is started as it will show on the edges. Etch primer then paint black then continue on from there. 

Powder coat is an excellent surface to paint over.Just use scuff pad to prepare surface. If it has a textured surface wet sand with 400 grit.

Look for some camo templates like these to speed up the process. No primer after process is started as it will show on the edges. Etch primer then paint black then continue on from there. 

Dont use etch on anything other than bare alu.

You method is fine confusis,its preferred to go from white to black as white can be a bit patchy on a black background.

Use frisket film for your templates,no bleeding and you can see thru it for a good idea of how it will look.

The clear coat will take out any steps in the paint,4-5 good coats with a thorough rub down between coats...wet sand preferably

This is my favorite style of primer. Non sanding primer sealer not a big fan of Duplicolor but they are the only ones I have found it in aerosol. Duplicolor clears do not take well to re-coating once dry, Primer will work fine under any similar coatings. It is a one step primer that does not require sanding before topcoat,let flash tach it off and spray topcoat.

With multiple masking make sure you use good tape and do no sand substrate or primer with anything finer then 400 grit or you will risk loss of intercoat adhesion when using rattle cans. Whatever masking system you use be sure first coat is very light and even to seal edges and prevent bleed through.

Etch primer will adhere to any properly prepared surface,any and all bare metals and powdercoat. Etch primer in your case as B negative said is not required....unless you already have it. (my assumption)

This is my favorite style of primer. Non sanding primer sealer not a big fan of Duplicolor but they are the only ones I have found it in aerosol. Duplicolor clears do not take well to re-coating once dry, Primer will work fine under any similar coatings. It is a one step primer that does not require sanding before topcoat,let flash tach it off and spray topcoat.

With multiple masking make sure you use good tape and do no sand substrate or primer with anything finer then 400 grit or you will risk loss of intercoat adhesion when using rattle cans. Whatever masking system you use be sure first coat is very light and even to seal edges and prevent bleed through.

Etch primer will adhere to any properly prepared surface,any and all bare metals and powdercoat. Etch primer in your case as B negative said is not required....unless you already have it. (my assumption)

Dont bother with tape,low adhesion frisket film is much better.

http://www.grafixarts.com/product/Frisket_Film