Sign in to follow this  
Dooglo

Block Cleaning

If they are really really bad, I sometimes use vinegar to clean them. I take my block apart, remove the rubber seals (vinegar in large quantity will damage the seals), and let the block sit in vinegar for a while. 

If they are really really bad, I sometimes use vinegar to clean them. I take my block apart, remove the rubber seals (vinegar in large quantity will damage the seals), and let the block sit in vinegar for a while. 

You should really only soak the waterside,soaking the whole block will cause pitting in the chipface,to be avoided.

People use ketchup as its controllable.

If your blocks are copper only, and you feel the need to beat them to death: Lysol toilet bowl cleaner.

You only need to apply/brush/rinse. Leave it on for more than a minute, and the blocks turn red.

If your blocks are copper only, and you feel the need to beat them to death: Lysol toilet bowl cleaner.

You only need to apply/brush/rinse. Leave it on for more than a minute, and the blocks turn red.

learnt from experience there Cheaps?

Yar, I use ketchup plus old/soft toothbrush.  You COULD use hot sauce, but I wouldn't recommend it as it's pretty acidic and could definitely cause problems with your block.  Ketchup isn't nearly as acidic and is very easy to clean up.

Yar, I use ketchup plus old/soft toothbrush.  You COULD use hot sauce, but I wouldn't recommend it as it's pretty acidic and could definitely cause problems with your block.  Ketchup isn't nearly as acidic and is very easy to clean up.

I'm with XNine on that one - a good dose of ketchup left on for a couple of minutes - scrub with an old toothbrush followed by tap water rinse then distilled water... then Listerine to kill any bacteria when reassembling the loop

:)

TL;DR -

1. Go to McDonald's
  2. Buy a bigmac meal
  3. Supersize it (ofc)
  4. Eat the bigmac, fries, and large coke
  5. Save a packet or two of ketchup
  6. squeeze packets all over waterblock
  7. Use toothbrush to brush waterblock, not mouth
  8. Rinse and enjoy!

@Kyle -Yup. Picked that up doing copper plumbing.

When the block turns green and fuzzy from a chemical reaction overnight, condiments aren't going to cut it. -Also, STERILIZE!  STERILIZE! STERILIZE! If it smacks down poo germs, imagine the hurt it puts on loop goop. Adding salsa just makes the bacteria grow little handlebar mustaches.

@Kyle -Yup. Picked that up doing copper plumbing.

When the block turns green and fuzzy from a chemical reaction overnight, condiments aren't going to cut it. -Also, STERILIZE!  STERILIZE! STERILIZE! If it smacks down poo germs, imagine the hurt it puts on loop goop. Adding salsa just makes the bacteria grow little handlebar mustaches.

I mentioned hot sauce, not salsa.  Two very different types of food items with two totally different pH's.  Hot sauce can be used to clean copper, especially pennies.  Coke will do the same (the soda, you filthy primate, not your nose candy!)

Ketchup ? WTH.

Now I've heard it all.

It's the vinegar, really, that's in the ketchup.  Vinegar itself is pretty acidic on the pH scale (some as low as 2.5).  Since there's trace amounts of it within Ketchup, it's diluted down and is about 3.9/4.  The Vinegar reacts with the oxidation and kills it, while not going after your copper.

The black stuff you see on copper blocks is alu oxide and is actually beneficial as it stops further attack....not pretty tho.

Acids should really be avoided or used as a last resort.