Hey folks! Time for another mod from me. This came about from a decision where SFFreview.com would sponsor a minecraft tournament at a LAN local to me - Aucklan.com 

I decided to take the opportunity to introduce local LANners to two things - SFF and mods! 

I bought two of these cases, one for the prize mod and one for my own mod, and both will be shown in this thread as we go along.

47 days to go to get both done!

Right,. lets do this!

First of all, I've started with the Aywun A1-1001 chassis. It features a 250w SFX PSU, an external 5.25" bay and an internal 3.5" bay. It's pretty small too - coming in at around 11.5L external volume, under HALF the size of the Bitfenix Prodigy and just over half the size of the Coolermaster Elite 120.

b2.jpg

I will cover upgrades as we go through. I apologise for the quality of the pictures - my camera has packed a sad so I'm relying on my 3MP smartphone camera!

First up - better cooling. The stock case comes with a 80mm front intake spot - and we all know 80mm fans aren't that great for moving air quietly. 

IMG2013082216592425l1L.jpg

I've cut a larger fan position here - to fit a 120mm fan! 

IMG2013082216584456vnz.jpg

This area will fit a regular 120mm fan if I decide to go with a custom HDD rack, or a Scythe Slim 120 if I keep the standard drive mount.

Also done: The addition of a custom power switch and 16x2 line LCD unit. The LCD can be used to scroll messages, RSS feeds and pretty much anything else you can think of (except temps thanks to the plugin being abandoned :( )

IMG20130822150748qe1fs.jpg

IMG20130822150938rawv4.jpg

Thats all for now - in the next few weeks I will be replacing the window with something nicer, sleeving the PSU, painting the case and adding some special touches :D

Thanks folks :D

Ordered some more parts last week - another vandal resistant switch for the reset button, and some vinyl: http://www.metrorestyling.com/Digital-Urban-Night-Camouflage-Vinyl-p/camourbannightdg.htm

Went with the vinyl instead of paint as there was a good chance I'd screw up the masking/painting job, and on such a short deadline (30 days left), I can't risk a stuff up! If anything though, this will lead to a more resilient surface, more suitable for LAN parties :D

Some more metal work to come in the next couple of days, plus a sneak peek at where I'm going with my own case!

That vinyl looks really nice, well done!  I think hitting the gray parts on the front bezel with it would look sweet too.  That grey sticks out I think and wants something done to it :)

Thanks dude! Yeah, finalising the front bezel is next on the to-do list. Not sure if I'll be able to vinyl the silver bits, I don't have access to a heatgun!

The mesh on the front will be replaced with a aluminium panel which will house the LCD like it was above. I will then open up the bottom of the bezel to let the front 120 breathe

Yes, a single 120 intake. Remember, this is a) an ITX case and b ) only has a single slot spot for expansion cards. It's not designed in any way for a high end system. Mid-low range will be fine in this.

Ventilation is fine - the window will be replaced with a mesh panel. Keep in mind the stock case only has an 80mm intake!

Did some more work yesterday, including moving the LCD to a better spot, replacing the window with MNPCTech Modder's Mesh, and throwing some MNPCTech U-Channel Edge Molding around the front fan cutout. 

WP20130924004.jpg

WP20130924007.jpg

WP20130924009.jpg

WP20130924011.jpg

Need to tidy up the cuts on the 5.25" bay cover around the LCD, get a plaque made up to commemorate the prize and event, and finish sleeving the PSU in Lutro0 Stiff-Line black and then I can move on to my own projects for the LAN - resurrecting my think_micro mod, and rebuilding my server!

Thanks Johan :) There's still time to book a flight! :P

Trying to promote modding, and SFF, in NZ via this prize sponsorship - here's hoping we get some more NZ folks interested in the world of modding :D

Thanks onevoicewild. The original window was pretty flimsy, was cast out of some nasty plastic that shatters easily! 

The mesh hasn't been clearcoated so it has a wee bit of rust on it - a bit of 'in service' weathering :P

In the middle of all this, I was refurbishing my old think_micro scratchbuild to host my gaming rig. I did have some heat issues though - the original design was based around a 35w CPU and 45w GPU... now I'm running a 90w CPU and 65w GPU.. so some modifications had to be made :P

WP20130927001.jpg

Spec:

ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe

6GB RAM

Sapphire low profile HD6570 2GB

Phenom 555BE 3.2 @ 3.8ghz

2x 250gb 2.5" slim HDDs in RAID

DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS cooler with a bloo LED fan for that 1337 factor

eBay Vandal Resistant switch which I need to mount properly...