Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bill Owen

Mod Zoo Podcast Listener Q&A Thread

192 posts in this topic

Please post your PC & Case Mod Related Questions for upcoming episodes of the "Mod Zoo" Podcast Listener Q&A segment.

Listen to previous Episodes of Mod Zoo Podcast in upper right corner, HERE

*Any off-topic posts are subject to deletion by Moderators.

Hey Bill,

Like promised on twitter my re-post here.

I have an aerocool vs 3 advance pc casing.

Do u guys have any ideas on how to mod it?

I tried and tried but i cant seem to find a non ugly/ghetto way of modding it.

Many thanks and much respect from the netherlands.

Miovivere aka Patrick

P.S im sorry if i posted it at the wrong section.

Hey guys-

Bob Stewart here. My question is this. What kind of written agreement or contract do you have when doing mods for customers? Do you have a custom made work order showing options with prices, do you keep track of hours, etc? And, do you have them pay up front, half down, or wait until it's finished?

Is there any way that modzoo podcast might go video conference call in skype time for a upgrade guys . plus a youtube channel postings B)/> . also would like to hear about your own personal permanent rigs

Great Questions! Thank you!

@Wayne, we had been asked that same question in previous episode, I recall EEL and Cheaps remarking how they never see sunlight, and prefer to be unseen....hehe....

Video outtakes of the podcast recording, similar to what was done in "Mod Men" would be funny though. Maybe a link list in the transcript of any links you share in Skype during the podcast?

Well done on the last episode guys and thank you for all the work you guys did on the site. I admin a forum so I know how much time goes into making it work correctly.

I guess I sort of have a question or more of a statement regarding some misconceptions about ITX form factor motherboards.

I know a lot of people have these plans on putting a GTX 690 in one and like you said on the podcast, the efficiency we have in todays GPU standards are astonishing....

However an ITX motherboard to the best of my knowledge "will not" physically be able to utilize both GPU's on the card so you wouldn't really be running an SLI rig.

I just think we should clarify this or possibly there is some chipset or hybrid bios hack that I am unaware of.

Despite this, I have had my eyes wide open trying to decide which ITX case I want to get my hands on to mod....so many choices and they are all so different.

I like the Lian Li briefcase...lol

Hi Bill I was wondering what is your opinion on the best brand of paint that your would recommend for painting plastic such as fans and plastic case bezels.

My other question is what type of saw is it that you use in your videos the one you cut acrylic with and other stuff. I'm in the market for one and don't want to waste my money.

Just listened to my first Mod Zoo pod cast today. It was very entertaining and informative and will have to catch up with all of the podcast now. I listened to Episode 4 and really enjoyed it much more then I thought I would. Usually I an more of a visual person and would prefer a video but the podcast was great. Thank you so much, you now have another dedicated listener. ;)/>

@Brian, Great questions! They may be on Episode #9, if we don't have time on Ep#8

@SEBAR, We keep telling everyone to Listen!!!, Glad you gave it a try :D/> ....Wayne and others remarked about doing Video casts, but we're doing everyone a favor by keeping it audio only....lol...

hi guys i have a delema i have asked all my ICT mates what they think about case sizes for my first build. As we now have full towers,itx,midi case and the hptx form factor cases but i am not sure which way to go as i am going to design and make from scratch a case out of perspex.

But the system i want has to be able to hold 2 Graphic cards for x-fire/sli, 3 machanical hard drives, a ocz revodrive 3 and water cooling as well any input would be nice as my mates were not sure what to think.

Regarding episode 7:

DDC pumps - While I was running PTS, I saw a failure rate of about 4% and, obviously, I don't know how many other DDCs we sold failed and were replaced directly through Swiftech/DD.

...and I'm totally with you on the CCFLs... I can't even begin to count the number of CCFL inverters that I've seen go up in smoke/flames. Heck, I had one fail in such a way as to arc between its output terminals, melt its plastic housing, catch fire, then ignite the stack of cardboard boxes it was sitting on. That said, catastrophic failure/fiery death was pretty uncommon when you take into consideration the sheer number of CCFL kits sold.

For the time being, I don't have any questions (yet), however I do have a "WTH?" to spout off. WTH is up with the front/top-mounted eSATA and audio ports? Do people even use those any more? Did anyone EVER use those? I never have, never will, and to this day haven't personally known anyone who actually has or does. The USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports make sense with us having a lot of USB devices that are plug-n-play, such as flash drives, card readers, etc. So I gotta say to the manufacturers putting the front-mounted (and even worse, top-mounted) eSATA and audio ports on their cases STILL... "Hey, WTH?!"

I seriously thought about a installing a front mounted molex power plug. I still think one would come in handy.

...But then, 2 of my downstairs rigs are turned around so I can switchboard the KVM switch.

whats on the horizon for the masters of power at mnpctech wat do we have to look forward too .and wat are the panel drooling in to there prozake over this year

What does yellow taste like?

Why do most forums insist on running sponsored rigs against 'the readers wives' in any modding comp,thats what generates the ill feeling i think...

Separate the 2 and maybe run all the winners together in one big PC bukkake fest at the end of the year...

Why do people never read threads? PMing me about something covered in the very thread you are asking about is ok the first time but 549 messages later......it wears thin.

Why the hell are we still using Molex anyway??? ................I hates them,they hurts me paws......