Mark Adam Saba II

How well will this kit handle GPU blocks?

Alright I have been thinking about going to water cooling and would like to get my ducks in a row so I will know how much money I will have to invest.  I have been looking at some basic kits and would like to go ahead and liquid cool my GPU's at the same time.  So, this leads me to my 1st question.  Will this kit 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21235/ex-wat-270/XSPC_Raystorm_750_EX240_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_New_Rev_4_Pump_Included_w_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=g30c321

handle two GPU blocks as well?

My 2nd question is, this GPU block says it works on ASUS HD7850 2GB, but I have the 1GB version, does anyone know if it would fit the 1GB version as well?  I can't imagine it wouldn't but then again, I don't know too much about liquid cooling. 

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c309/s1754/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Water_Blocks_VGA_-_Card_-_ATI-HD_7850_Water_Blocks-Page1.html

Thanks for the help.  I am hoping to be liquid cooled this winter if I can afford it! 

I'm no expert, but the "general rule" is a single 120mm radiator per block.  So the 240 probably wouldn't do CPU and 2 GPUs. 

About the GPU block... Here's the compatibility list for it.

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/waterblock/3831109856895

I believe I recall XNine mentioning in the past that at least some of the newer versions of the 7850's require a copper shim to fit those waterblocks, but I don't know exactly which ones, or what all is required...

I'm no expert, but the "general rule" is a single 120mm radiator per block.  So the 240 probably wouldn't do CPU and 2 GPUs. 

About the GPU block... Here's the compatibility list for it.

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/waterblock/3831109856895

I believe I recall XNine mentioning in the past that at least some of the newer versions of the 7850's require a copper shim to fit those waterblocks, but I don't know exactly which ones, or what all is required...

Hmm, bummer.  The only other block I found is some universal block.  Maybe I should ditch the 7850 1gb.  Eh this is giving me a headache now, I think I will just liquid cool the CPU and hold of on GPU liquid cooling for now. 

Hmm, bummer.  The only other block I found is some universal block.  Maybe I should ditch the 7850 1gb.  Eh this is giving me a headache now, I think I will just liquid cool the CPU and hold of on GPU liquid cooling for now. 

That is a great start. Just go after the CPU first, and then move to the GPU once you have a different GPU that has a good looking block. 

I'm doing my first custom loop right now too, and I've done the same thing... wanted to do a full loop with GPU and CPU, but decided to go with just the CPU for now. Can always add on to the loop later if you need to.

It is always easier to add on to the loop. Starting with just a CPU loop gives you an easy idea of what all work is involved. Also the fact that unlike a GPU there is no cooler that needs removing from the CPU, and that you can leak test the loop without having any components in the system. 

Yeah at that price I will have to wait a bit especially since it needs tubing and fittings to boot. But I would rather spend my money on quality items even if it means spending a little more. I will just have to stick with air cooling a bit longer. (Really only going liquid cooled cause all the cool kids are doing it)

Always base purchases on what you're comfortable with and your needs.  The D5 kit will give you a number of years (up to, anyways) of service, with the exception of occasional tubing changes, etc.  That pump should last you 4-5 yrs or so with normal use.

I'm running a 750 in BackDraft, nice bit of kit but it's a bit of an inbetweener; it doesn't have the flow rate of the D5 and lacks the head pressure of the DDC.

I'll be replacing mine in the near future when I have a wee change ;)

Would the 750 pump be reliable for a year? It would just be running a CPU loop and when I would expand to my GPUs I could upgrade then.

I've had zero issues with mine thus far Mark and it's under manufacturers warranty for the first year; that being said I was always going to upgrade.

Also there are two versions of the 750, I'm running the X20 750 V4 which is the MK2 version.

I'd reinforce both Daz and EEL's view that if funds allow to go for the D5 version, the reason I purchased my own was as a test of sorts along with the front mounted front rad concept; also at the time of purchase PWM DDC's in the UK were like rocking horse sh*t to source.

Ps. Were you in the UK I'd happily send you mine to have a mess about with when I make my changes in the next few weeks. 

I appreciate the offer 23ro. I need to figure out what I want to do here. Lots of options and its a little overwhelming. Priorities are to get my case done first and go from there I think. I also want to see prices on the new AMD GPUs as well and hopefully pick the right one out that will have a good water block available for it.

I appreciate the offer 23ro. I need to figure out what I want to do here. Lots of options and its a little overwhelming. Priorities are to get my case done first and go from there I think. I also want to see prices on the new AMD GPUs as well and hopefully pick the right one out that will have a good water block available for it.

No worries, it would be no biggy to post it to you but I just can't promise a time scale owing to 1) My own upgrade/change 2) Having the time to do so given things that are going on in my life just now.

Myself and others are here to answer any questions so don't be scared to yell and bare in mind you won't normally see new blocks start to emerge until around 6-8 weeks after the launch of any new card; also most GPU blocks will be designed for cards that utilise factory standard PCB's.

No worries, it would be no biggy to post it to you but I just can't promise a time scale owing to 1) My own upgrade/change 2) Having the time to do so given things that are going on in my life just now.

Myself and others are here to answer any questions so don't be scared to yell and bare in mind you won't normally see new blocks start to emerge until around 6-8 weeks after the launch of any new card; also most GPU blocks will be designed for cards that utilise factory standard PCB's.

Yeah I am slowly learning all of this. I have one Asus 7850 1gb card now and was going to get a second but lack of liquid cooling support is going to change that plan. I want a card/cards that I will be able to keep for a couple of years and won't be too old when I decide to upgrade. So I am thinking if I go R9 270x/280x I think I will have good support for it. Or go higher than my 7850 to something that I know already has good aftermarket support.

Keep an eye on micro centers open box section, you might find a good deal there. I have used the EK DCP 2.2 pump, and it was not that bad.

Only issue is I am an hour and a half away from them. I will be up this weekend though and am going to swing by.

What I would suggest is that you look at the website under the clearance section. See something you like, add it to your cart and select store pick up. You get 3 or 4 days to pick up your items before they put them back on the shelf. 

Keep an eye on micro centers open box section, you might find a good deal there. I have used the EK DCP 2.2 pump, and it was not that bad.

Absolutely.  The Jingway pumps (like EK's DCPs) are great bang-for-the-buck pumps.  If you ran a couple of those in series they're pretty serious contenders for a decent loop, and the added awesomeness of being quiet as all-hell.  Only issue I see (if it's an issue for any given w/c install project) is the fact that it's a completely separate pump from the res, etc. if space is the issue.  But they are svelt in size, depending on model chosen.

Absolutely.  The Jingway pumps (like EK's DCPs) are great bang-for-the-buck pumps.  If you ran a couple of those in series they're pretty serious contenders for a decent loop, and the added awesomeness of being quiet as all-hell.  Only issue I see (if it's an issue for any given w/c install project) is the fact that it's a completely separate pump from the res, etc. if space is the issue.  But they are svelt in size, depending on model chosen.

Space is never an issue if you own a dremel!  Ha ha.