Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mosquito

[MOD] - Visible Contrast - Updated 18th, Nov 2013 - Completed Photos with Transparent LCD

215 posts in this topic

Mosquito_NZXT_H230_PrimoChill_LRT_Liquid

Hey, back at it again. Originally I was going to build a wooden computer case to house my new desktop build, including space a pair of 240mm radiators for a CPU, GPU, and motherboard loop. But then I ended up deciding on the Asus Gryphon motherboard instead of the Maximus VI Gene. This led me to drop the motherboard from the loop. Since I don’t game, or need a graphics card that has a full cover block, I decided to keep my 4GB 640GT for now, and just go with a CPU loop for my first custom water-cooling loop.

The name:
This mod is named Visible Contrast due to the fact that it will be a black and white build, stemming off of the color scheme of the NZXT H230 Silent Chassis that I will be modding, after reviewing it at The Mod Zoo. There will also be a surprise for the side panel window, which will shed light on the name as well.

The Mods:
The mods will include making space for mounting a 240mm radiator in the front, and a window (of sorts) in the side panel, and a few other things here or there. I am hoping to keep this project pretty straight forward, and relatively quick.

The Stuff:
Here's a list of some of the stuff that I'll be using in this mod

NZXT H230 Silent Chassis
6dc9aed1be9a38bab4dd72956a771f96.jpg

NZXT HALE82 V2 550w White Power Supply

XSPC AX240 Radiator
xspc_ax240_radiator_review37.JPG

Purchase MNPCTech Black Anodized Grooved Case Feet

08_casemod_computer_feet_mnpctech.black1

Purchase U-Channel molding

Uchannel1_6iva-5n.jpg
Purchase PC chassis Black pop-rivets
pop_rivet_black_computer_case_chassis_do

Purchase 3M Scotch 4010 Tape (Tape of the Gawds)

4010scotch3mtape.mnpctech.com.jpg

For this first update, I’ll be making room for the 240mm Rad up front.

I’m starting with the stock NZXT H230 Chassis.

The upper 3.5” drive cage is removable by thumb screws. The bottom cage is removable too…

When I say “removable”, there is a little more work required...

This is much better. Next up is the same treatment for the 5.25” bay.

Both drive cages are now out, and there is plenty of space in the front.

There were a few more rivets to drill out than I thought there would be.

Now it’s time to make a little headroom for the radiator.
I’ve marked out the bottom of the 5.25” bay for the cut out.

Not too bad for just a dremel, I think.

Radiator fitted to show the plan.

You can see why this was required. Definitely not enough room otherwise.

I decided I wanted to remove a little more; there just wasn’t enough clearance for me.

That’ll do.

This was the next issue that needed tackling.
I’ve already drilled out the factory 6-32 threaded inserts with an 11/64” drill bit.
The lower set of fan screw holes don’t line up quite right.

Out with the small needle file to make some ovals.

That is good enough for me.

Now I’ll be able to fit both fans to the radiator :)

That’s all the update for now, thanks for checking it out.
-Mos

Subbed for the ride.

Thanks, hopefully it'll be a good one :D

Looking forward to this one Mos, specially given the fact that you have given a teaser before so will be awesome to see how it turns out.

Should be fun, though you already know what to look forward to lol

Cool case for modding. I am looking forward to seeing this progress.

So far it's been a pretty fun case, built well enough, but not so well that it's hard to mod. I also love the clean exterior look

Subbed.  Look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Thanks, I've got an ambitious goal for completing this case, so hopefully it won't take too long :)

looks nice man! I like the copped out 5.25 bay to fit the rad.

Thanks! I had debated ditching the blu-ray drive, and finding somewhere else to mount SSDs and the HDD, but after removing the 5.25" bay, it became immediately apparent that this cases requires it. It got pretty wobbly with out it. I will be mounting 2xSSDs, a 3.5" HDD, and a blu-ray drive in the remaining area. As could be seen in the review of the case there isn't much room behind the motherboard to mount anything

Wow Moss you are Build Crazy! That's great. All Kinds of stuff on the burner now.  You may want to reconsider the friends you have! They seem to be leading you down an addictive path that you may have no way to get out of !  There is no 12 step program for this. 

Wow Moss you are Build Crazy! That's great. All Kinds of stuff on the burner now.  You may want to reconsider the friends you have! They seem to be leading you down an addictive path that you may have no way to get out of !  There is no 12 step program for this. 

I think just about half the guys on the forum have this ^^^ problem about now   :lol:

Bill's fault   :P 

Bout time you you found a home for your poor neglected Grython Chris (tut tut)   ;)

Iza be watching this one to   :D

Heh, it's not that they're leading me down an addictive path, they're just giving me the means to walk the path a little faster lol This one was mainly out of frustration for having my Gryphon, 4770k, and 16GB of RAM sitting on the table for 2 months with out being used...

Wow yeah its really tight behind that MB tray, Everything should look pretty cool up in the 5.25s though, good thinkin'!

Thanks, I did something similar in my PC-AT build,but didn't have as nice of a drive tray for it.

I think just about half the guys on the forum have this ^^^ problem about now   :lol:

Bill's fault   :P 

Bout time you you found a home for your poor neglected Grython Chris (tut tut)   ;)

Iza be watching this one to   :D

Bill helps lol And yes, I didn't like it sitting on the table for the last 2 months, so I thought I better do something with it before I sell it unused to upgrade to the NEXT socket 1155 CPU lol

Back with another update to this project. Not a big one at this point, but a few more additions.

Took a little field trip with the case, and bought some parts from MNPCTech.
I bought some U-channel to install over the cut edges of the 5.25” bay.
I figured the tubing would benefit from not having sharp edges around.

Nice mitered corners

I then used black pop rivets to reinstall the 5.25” bay.

08_casemod_computer_feet_mnpctech.black1
Next up are a set of MNPCTech black anodized “grooved” billet aluminum case feet. http://www.mnpctech.com/CaseFeetMachined.html

These will help get the case off the floor a little bit more, and go well with the black and white theme.

After installation, I ran across a small problem. This isn’t going to work for the rear feet, as they’ll hit the PSU.

To lower the clearance on the inside of the case, I picked up some plastic barrel bolts.

That should do the trick.

Now there is just enough clearance for the PSU to sit on the rubber pads.

I also put a few coats of white paint on my thermal armor.

I want it to be primarily white on the inside. It should make it brighter on the inside, once I install some LEDs.

I’m planning on leaving the PCI covers black. I like the contrast it adds to the mix, and I think it helps make the motherboard components not stand out as much, for not being painted white.

That’s all for today, thanks for the support and comments so far :)

Your thought processes remind me so much of my own Chris   :D  :lol:

As annoying and frustrating as it was at the time I vowed never to place a single piece of hardware in the case until I was happy with it, the MNPCTech case feet look mint also mate   :wub:

I cant say Id of done anything different, nice work here bro! Saving the water loop tubes from slices with the U-channel. The miter looks perfect. The white armor looks awesome! I myself will be getting some MNPC feet for grey matter but the white delrins, MNPC feet are nice,clean, and bold, I really like all of them. 

Cant wait to see more!

The TUF shield does look good in White... Asus take note!  ...and Yes, Mos is rawking out the projects.. I'm looking forward to seeing them all!  

Modsquito....  B)

Your thought processes remind me so much of my own Chris   :D  :lol:

As annoying and frustrating as it was at the time I vowed never to place a single piece of hardware in the case until I was happy with it, the MNPCTech case feet look mint also mate   :wub:

Thanks Paul :) I really do love those feet. Probably my favorite case feet from anything I've ever found.

I cant say Id of done anything different, nice work here bro! Saving the water loop tubes from slices with the U-channel. The miter looks perfect. The white armor looks awesome! I myself will be getting some MNPC feet for grey matter but the white delrins, MNPC feet are nice,clean, and bold, I really like all of them. 

Cant wait to see more!

Thanks man! I thought about the white delrin case feet, or the black anodized knurled case feet, but both being sold out asside, I liked the more understated grooved case feet. There was a trick to those miters that I shared with Bill. I didn't measure, mark, use a 45 degree bevel angle or anything with it. I may show that later, at some point... little woodworking trick I picked up from someone.

What OC said.

Looking great!

Thanks Doyll :) 

The TUF shield does look good in White... Asus take note!  ...and Yes, Mos is rawking out the projects.. I'm looking forward to seeing them all!  

Modsquito....  B)

I do agree, I think the armor looks great in white, and even if I wasn't trying to get as much white as I could inside, I may have done it anyway, if I knew what it looked like.

Modsquito... I could go with that lol

Looking great so far Mos!  The black/white combo is looking really classy so far.  I'm really digging the Gryphon cover, great call to leave the slot covers black, it makes for a really nice contrast.  Can't wait to see it all come together!

Looking great so far Mos!  The black/white combo is looking really classy so far.  I'm really digging the Gryphon cover, great call to leave the slot covers black, it makes for a really nice contrast.  Can't wait to see it all come together!

Thanks! I had originally thought about following your lead, and doing the lines in the armor in black, like you did with white, but I think I've since decided I like the nice clean white. I think the black lines would make it too busy for my theme.

Now you got me thinking about doing a white mobo cover on my old X58A-UD5

Do it! :D 

I agree that gryphon armour looks sweet

another super project on the go

Thanks Fuzzy. I wasn't sure if it'd turn out well or if I'd like it, but then I thought "what the heck, it's just the armor, and I can buy a new set for $45 if I really hate it" lol Glad I did it, though