Welcome to The Mod Zoo

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mosquito

[MOD] - Visible Contrast - Updated 18th, Nov 2013 - Completed Photos with Transparent LCD

215 posts in this topic

Wow! :wub:

Hummm...   B)  Is there an readily available LCD that will fit 31x48.3cm window?  That's the size of Enthoo Primo window. :wub:  and only 32.5x51cm maximum usable area on inside of side panel. . 

nice dude! I like your soldering and electronic skills, I can really appreciate that being an electrical engineer myself. I love seeing all the wiring and lighting done nicely in case its really shows you like to make it neat and clean.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it :)

Hummm...   B)  Is there an readily available LCD that will fit 31x48.3cm window?  That's the size of Enthoo Primo window. :wub:  and only 32.5x51cm maximum usable area on inside of side panel. .

Looks like maybe a 22" 16:10 ratio panel may fit ;)

http://www.silisoftware.com/tools/screen.php

nice dude! I like your soldering and electronic skills, I can really appreciate that being an electrical engineer myself. I love seeing all the wiring and lighting done nicely in case its really shows you like to make it neat and clean.

Thanks man, I have been getting better at the soldering. I'll have more soldering and cabling come up. Had to make some Y cables for the PSU...

which light strips have you used i like them and they look neat which i like . nice work

I used Double Density Cool White HitLights. I bought them on Amazon, but it looks like the specific one that I ordered isn't available at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ST2I9O/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're very bright. The inside of the case is a lot brighter than what it looks like in the picture through the window.

So, who's gonna sneak this in as the background when he's not looking?

1382910066_1251847796917_749628_zps24bee

lol I might have to, that would be funny. Maybe do it in a video demo, and if you look here (tap window, image comes up...)

This build is amazing. Are you planning on running the LCD as a second monitor for the computer, or are you using something else to output to it?

I won't be using it as an everyday monitor, more of just a party piece. It runs off of USB, so it's plugged in by an adapter to the USB header on the motherboard. It just gets seen as a 3rd monitor, since I've got 2 at home.

Looking really slick! Need MOAR contrast though, lol :b

Very nice Moss - I do agree with X Nine, you need a little more contrast in there. This is a very special build you have going!

More contrast... do you mean more black? If that's what it was, the reason I was trying to make it primarily white, was because I wanted it to be as bright as I could get it for the LCD panel. The GPU PCB will be black, though, so maybe that'll help some...

Chris, what I mean by contrast is getting little things to accentuate the white.  Fittings, sleeve, etc.  I know you're going for  bright white for the LCD panel, but I think it would look killer with touch small touches of black here and there.  Just my humble opinion.  Think of a Stormtrooper uniform...except, you know, you can actually shoot and hit something.  :)

love the simplicity of this, I was planning a white W/C loop for my gigabyte aurora, to do the exact opposite, but then real life got in the way of my PC enthusiast traits.

Can't wait to see the final product!

Now I want to do a mod like this and overlay each component with temperatures and info

When I was talking to Bill about it a little while back, that was sort of one of my ideas. I was looking for hardware monitors that might have an API that I could use to write an application for displaying the temps. I was thinking of more of just a large list, but that would be a cooler idea!

love the simplicity of this, I was planning a white W/C loop for my gigabyte aurora, to do the exact opposite, but then real life got in the way of my PC enthusiast traits.

Can't wait to see the final product!

Thanks! I know how that goes... this build was sort of a result of the same thing. Hardware sat for 3 months while I tried to get all the ducks in a row to build a wooden computer case. Just didn't work out.

Chris, what I mean by contrast is getting little things to accentuate the white.  Fittings, sleeve, etc.  I know you're going for  bright white for the LCD panel, but I think it would look killer with touch small touches of black here and there.  Just my humble opinion.  Think of a Stormtrooper uniform...except, you know, you can actually shoot and hit something.   :)

I get what you're saying. Hopefully once I get the actual GPU in it, that'll help. The one in the picture above is just a temp GPU for testing, that I pulled out of an HTPC.

When I was talking to Bill about it a little while back, that was sort of one of my ideas. I was looking for hardware monitors that might have an API that I could use to write an application for displaying the temps. I was thinking of more of just a large list, but that would be a cooler idea!

It would be easy to do with something like rain meter. I agree though, if you could get some sort of an API running so that the monitor wasn't treated as an actual monitor by the computer it could be a lot less confusing. Whatever you end up throwing on it, I'm sure it'll be awesome. I'm staying tuned!

This is looking really really good Chris, amazing work as always.

Thanks Jesse. This is probably my cleanest build yet.

It would be easy to do with something like rain meter. I agree though, if you could get some sort of an API running so that the monitor wasn't treated as an actual monitor by the computer it could be a lot less confusing. Whatever you end up throwing on it, I'm sure it'll be awesome. I'm staying tuned!

I had heard of rainmeter before, but never used it. I might have to look into that some more, thanks for the idea!

As promised, here’s the more substantial update today.

First up, the big news (for me, anyway)
Mosquito_NZXT_H230_PrimoChill_LRT_Liquid

Here’s the quick teaser pic of what it looked up until this point. The black PSU I had just doesn’t do it for me.

I’d like to thank NZXT for supplying me with a HALE82 v2 550w PSU in white for this build.

The black and white in the PSU will go perfectly with the internals.

Oddly sized 135mm fan, but it is pretty quiet from what I’ve been able to determine in use.

I’ll be using a few of the flat cables, as they manage pretty well. I also really like them, because it makes mapping out the wires really easy for making custom cables.

Can’t wait to get the wires made and get this baby in there.

So, at this point, I knew that the NZXT HALE82 v2 has some double mapped wires for the 24-pin. It’s 28-pin on the PSU, and 23 pin on the motherboard (1 blank, as is often the case). I soldered together some double wires to make sleeving them easier.

Here is my starting point for sleeving; my double wire soldered up with a small piece of heatshrink to bring the soldered area back to the size of the insulation.

Cut the sleeving to length, so it goes from the connector to the edge of the V on the double wire, and thread it on.

Before doing anything else, make sure that you can get the sleeving all the way from the connector to the solder point. Trust me, nothing is more frustrating than getting one end melted on, only to realize you’re short sleeving on the other end.

Then melt the end of the sleeving on the pin, for shrinkless sleeving.

At this point, I’ve done the Pin side of both wires. Then I melt the wires by the V enough so I can then press them together.

Repeat for the other side, and melt the sleeving from the single side to the double sleeved side. This is in place of using the super glue like Lutro0 suggests. It melts the sleeve together, so they hold each other in place like normal sleeving does. I then use a small piece of heatshrink to cover it up. I thought I had a picture of this, but I do not. I will include it in a video guide, though.

This is the end result of what I was describing above.

Next I did a little cable sewing. I won’t try to explain this, as I’m not entirely sure how I pulled it off lol

I did this with the intention of getting the cable a little more flattened out, since there isn’t much room behind the motherboard tray for cables.

Then, I made and sleeved the 8-pin CPU cable, and got stuff installed.

The NZXT PSU in place with sleeved cables.

Complimented with a NoiseBlocker intake fan in the floor, the PSU flows well with the black and white contrasting theme.

This is what the internals look like currently. The GT640 in this image will be replaced by a 650Ti Boost in the next update.

That’s all for this one. Hopefully next time I’ll be able to get the new GPU painted and installed, and get some final photos after that :)

Once again I’d like to thank NZXT for sponsoring me with the PSU for this build

Hell yeah man, It came together great, I love black and white, one of my favorite color schemes, pretty much what all my clothes are haha. Congrats on your sponsor too man, that is a big deal for sure! Good job dude!

edit...I really like that cable sewing, I think Im going to give that a shot when I finalize my cables. Looks clean!

Next I did a little cable sewing. I won’t try to explain this, as I’m not entirely sure how I pulled it off lol

Yay, cable lacing! :D Came out great!

edit...I really like that cable sewing, I think Im going to give that a shot when I finalize my cables. Looks clean!

Yes, yes, come to the dark side. :D

Nice work on the sleeving and a big congrats on a sponsorship.  The PSU fits the theme perfectly.  I also really like the two-tone job with the split sleeves, it looks really nice.

Hell yeah man, It came together great, I love black and white, one of my favorite color schemes, pretty much what all my clothes are haha. Congrats on your sponsor too man, that is a big deal for sure! Good job dude!

Thanks! This was my first attempt at cable sewing. I got an idea of what I wanted it to look like in my head, and just sort of winged it. I watched part of alpenwasser's tutorial, but quickly realized I didn't want to try that hard to duplicate something lol

Yay, cable lacing! :D Came out great!

Orange Clockwerk

Yes, yes, come to the dark side. :D

Thanks! I way over purchased on the cotton thread I used, so I'll probably have to do it on most of my future builds for a while lol

The new PSU fits really nice.  Congrats on the sponsor.  See in on friday.

Thanks Austin. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint ;)

Nice Job on the sleeving Chris, and agreed, that PSU flows really nice in the build. 

Love it.

Thanks Jesse :)

Nice work on the sleeving and a big congrats on a sponsorship.  The PSU fits the theme perfectly.  I also really like the two-tone job with the split sleeves, it looks really nice.

Thanks, I was thinking about doing all white, but I don't think it would have worked out that well. I like the "framed white" that I ended up going with. It's similar to what I did in the server too

Thanks! I way over purchased on the cotton thread I used, so I'll probably have to do it on most of my future builds for a while lol

Admit it, you did that on purpose... :lol:

I actually did the same thing with both cotton cord and Nylon thread, so I doubt there

will be an absence of lacing in my immediate future, too. :D