XNine

Conundrum..... GTX 780, or AMD 290x....?

So here's the deal.

I like the prospects of AMD's 290x, only, there's no time frame as to when waterblocks will be available, and knowing AMD and its partners, after about 2 months, Ref design is hard to get a hold of, meaning waterblocks won't match up with silly aftermarket PCBs.

On the flipside, the GTX 780 is available, and overclocking it gets near Titan benches.  There's also the question of do I go with Heatkiller or Aquacomputer blocks?

See my debacle?  Should I go for the 780, and if so, which block MFG, or wait for the 290x and hope and pray that a block is out before the end of the month?

Personally,i would go 780. Purely because its out now with known performance.

Waiting for a card that may/may not deliver is not something i would do,then again,im going 7990 with my Impact.

23573_2.jpg

You should ask Andrew's opinion on the 290x Blocks, and buying the card before blocks are available lol

My .02 on it would be 780 as well, because you already know what it can do, and what's available for them... I also really like the aesthetic of heatkiller blocks too

From what I'm reading the AMD card will be on par with GTX 780, with the 780 being the cheaper card. Of the two for now I would go with the 780.

I like Bs idea of using a 7990, as you get SLI performance with a single card. If you want a 690 let me know I don't use mine and can give you a great deal. 

Hmmm, alright.  Well, that narrows down the GPU to the 780.

Now then, which blocks?

HK with Backplate:

db_file_img_5522_800xauto.jpg

GPU_X3_GTX_TITAN_Backplate.jpg

Or Aquacomputer with active backplate:

23567.jpg

23563.jpg

See the big problem now?  They both look fantastic....  Gah!

The active backplate is something i wanted to get then i saw a few threads about it leaking from the tube/port manifold and decided perhaps not.

The active plate only works for the Titan anyway,the 780 doesnt have VRAM on the back of the card does it?

AC block with thw WC plate=tingly man bits

AC with the active back plate. But yes B you are correct, the 780 does not have the VRAM on the back of the card. 

I think the AC block would look great with the Ice Force CPU block. 

I like the nvidia setup.  The 290x series looks like it has a lot of potential.  I also like the Eyefinity featue of AMD, but it sucks to not be able to get a reference card a couple of months after release.

wait till they release the 290x (14th of oct) and have time to benchmark it, nvidia will be dropping prices to compete.
but if you wanna go overkill like my bigger desktop, get 2 7990s in it (there are downsides to the cf though, like microstutters in blacklist and skyrim. also, the huge energy bills) 

There's room for only 1 card as I'm using an Asus Impact board. Not big on the whole multi GPU thing anyway. I don't render enough to get any value from it, and a GTX 780 is more than enough for any game in existence. The HK probably performs better as it has all metal construction whereas the AC block has a glass top. At which, a 240 rad should be enough for the loop once it all reaches equilibrium.

If this fun little quote about the R9 280X ends up also being true for the 290X (we don't know yet for the 290X), then I'll think you'll be happy you went with a GTX 780:

"AMD has also stated there will be no reference design so this will be a board partner focused ASIC. Expect plenty of variety as MSI, Gigabyte, XFX, ASUS, HIS, PowerColor and others launch custom cooled, overclocked versions that are loosely based off of their current HD 7970 designs."  Source: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/63522-amd-radeon-r9-280x-3gb-review.html

Basically, each vendor is probably going to dork around with some custom PCB layout and drive all the waterblock manufacturers absolutely insane for creating compatible blocks for the R9 280X.  Expect a long lead time for watercooling these unless the waterblock guys are super fast at making variations for every customized vendor version.  I'll watch for information on the R9 290X series as well and let you know what happens.  Watercoolers will want to be very careful with block selections for any of the new AMD cards until more information is sorted out.

If this fun little quote about the R9 280X ends up also being true for the 290X (we don't know yet for the 290X), then I'll think you'll be happy you went with a GTX 780:

"AMD has also stated there will be no reference design so this will be a board partner focused ASIC. Expect plenty of variety as MSI, Gigabyte, XFX, ASUS, HIS, PowerColor and others launch custom cooled, overclocked versions that are loosely based off of their current HD 7970 designs."  Source: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/63522-amd-radeon-r9-280x-3gb-review.html

Basically, each vendor is probably going to dork around with some custom PCB layout and drive all the waterblock manufacturers absolutely insane for creating compatible blocks for the R9 280X.  Expect a long lead time for watercooling these unless the waterblock guys are super fast at making variations for every customized vendor version.  I'll watch for information on the R9 290X series as well and let you know what happens.  Watercoolers will want to be very careful with block selections for any of the new AMD cards until more information is sorted out.

I saw that article,expect support for the OC cards (Lightnings Etc) quickly,everyone else will probably have to wait.

I will be surprised if EK dont have a least one card from the major Manu's covered from launch,they tend to be fast out of the blocks on release.

If that's true, that sucks. A lot of the smaller companies, like Heat Killer, don't put out many non-ref blocks. Too much overhead for producing so many different blocks. Thanks for the info. I think this sealed the deal for me. Plus the 780 should be dropping in price in the next week or so.

The other "new" AMD cards appear to be based on a reference design but not the 280X for some reason which is kind of sitting in a sweet spot for price/performance.  Like B said, EK will probably pound out some blocks fairly quick but at the same time, I'm not sure what will happen with all the different iterations of the 280X that may come out.

For the 290X, we have to wait for that NDA to drop so sites can release their reviews and card information.  If AMD is smart, they have a reference design on that card as their top tier unit. Knowing EK, they probably already have a board sample for block development.  It's a bit of a wait and see at the moment.  It is a new GPU on the 290X and it'll be interesting to see how it competes against the higher end 7xx.

I'd still go with a 780 as well. If you can swing it, the classies have software voltage control up to 1.35v, and would be the best single card you could get. With that voltage you can expect around 1400mhz on your core... and I think they just started using samsung memory on them again too :)

Gah!  Too many choices!  I'm going to wait til the end of the month to see what GPU blocks are available for the AMD cards and if the price on the 780 drops.  This will give me some time to paint my chassis as well.  Since it's getting cold here in Colorado, I'll have to do it over several days so the paint doesn't crack/bubble from the cold.

Yeah, unfotrunately NO ONE has dropped their prices yet.  Looking for the Asus ref card.  I really don't want to buy from Newegg as they ship using OnTrac now.  Last time, the guy didn't show up at my door til 8PM on a friday night, he was driving an old van (not a shipping vehicle, but like, an old Nissan van) with no logos on it.

Sorry, but UPS always delivers to my door by 10AM, the driver knows me and the dogs, and when it's cold or rainy out he puts my packages in the milk delivery box so It doesn't get killed.

I had never even heard of OnTrac before Newegg shipped my Impact board with them.  Some fly-by-night operation that is.

I had never heard of OnTrac until you mentioned it lol

I have a 1 year shoprunner trial that I use for newegg shipping. Highly annoying when they ship FedEx, as they put restrictions on so I can't have them deliver to a FedEx location. Either have to be there (I work...) or go get it from their shipping center about 35 minutes away. Annoying.

Anywho, it's good to see that the 780's are supposed to be coming down in price. But that begs the question... just exactly how much were they gouging per card before :blink:

I have a 1 year shoprunner trial that I use for newegg shipping. Highly annoying when they ship FedEx, as they put restrictions on so I can't have them deliver to a FedEx location. Either have to be there (I work...) or go get it from their shipping center about 35 minutes away. Annoying.

Anywho, it's good to see that the 780's are supposed to be coming down in price. But that begs the question... just exactly how much were they gouging per card before :blink:

I think they still have a very decent margin on those cards. But its nice to see some price drops, as recently all we have seen are hikes. 

Naturally they had a huge margin with the Titan's and a bit lesser with the 780 series, but regardless, still pretty big. Mostly because AMD had no answer to their competition and Nvidia could really sell anything at any pricepoint they wanted. $1,000 for a 780 with 6gb of ram... and to think they sold a LOT of them. This is again why I want to see AMD pushing even harder. Granted their 290's are beating stock 780/titans by a small margin, we aren't talking anything hugely game changing. Though again, it's good they at least entered this "generation" and forced Nvidia to move.

Yeah, unfotrunately NO ONE has dropped their prices yet.  Looking for the Asus ref card.  I really don't want to buy from Newegg as they ship using OnTrac now.  Last time, the guy didn't show up at my door til 8PM on a friday night, he was driving an old van (not a shipping vehicle, but like, an old Nissan van) with no logos on it.

Sorry, but UPS always delivers to my door by 10AM, the driver knows me and the dogs, and when it's cold or rainy out he puts my packages in the milk delivery box so It doesn't get killed.

I had never even heard of OnTrac before Newegg shipped my Impact board with them.  Some fly-by-night operation that is.

A lot of the sites started dropping their prices today.  Keep your eyes open and you should see those changes very soon for the specific card you are after.

Now, do I go with Asus, or EVGA for the reference model?  I assume there's really no difference in the cards themselves, but what about software and warranty?  First time buying an Nvidia card in AGES.....