Orange Clockwerk

Nvidia 780 Ti -- Now means Titan Ultra -- Opinion Changed

Di for disappointing. In my opinion it was a waste of a release. Its going to sit between a 780 and a titan? Its driving me to buy a R9 290x out of pure spite. I was banking on a double GPU card or a 2800 cuda core maxed out titan ultra Keplar card at the very least. Not a mid-way waste of over priced silicon. 

what are your guys opinions?

Yeah i was taken back when they introduces the Ti...like are you kidding me, your new card is less powerfull than your best card...like why make an in between card? a double GPU card was the only thing that made sense to me...I dont know what to put in my rig now. 

Just bought a 780, not thinking a lot of this release.

Curious to see what the differences will be. There is not a lot more room sitting between the 780 and the titan, its basically going to be an overclocked 780.

in my opinion Waste of a release

http://www.hardware-360.com/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-780-ti-launch-date-price/

Well I guess Im going to get one. I have done quite some research to find out that the new driver updates made the 780 GTX out perform Titans, so assuming that it will go that way, I will be getting one of these guys on my Nov.15th paycheck. 

Just buy the standard 780 and clock it.

The Ti has a better VRM and 1 more SMX unit than the 780.

The Titan isnt really a gaming card,look at it as a cheap Tesla card instead,the compute power of the Titan is its reason for being,not its gaming ability. That is just a nice side affect.

Thats what I found out about the titan, It was a card like a tesla and quadro....Thats not a bad idea, I want to upgade to a maxwell card in Q1 next year anyway so itll be better to spend 500$ + a waterblock. Then Ill take this 780 out and put it into my next build Ill be starting in December

there shouldnt have been any reason for you to think that the 780ti would be faster than the titan.. why would they release something that's faster AND cheaper than their flagship card? 

also, given the "Ti" history it always landed between the non ti and the next card up in the family... a 560ti is faster than a 560 but slower than a 570.

as for dual gpu cards, unless they sli the titan and cf the 290x on a single card it wouldnt be worth it.. i have a feeling that the 7990s and 690s are the last of their breed. (although i am glad i got 2 7990s)

also, on the tesla/quadro thing give this a looksie... http://youtu.be/-utyEm0QZMQ

The 780 is benchmarking better than a Titan, the drivers have been helping the 780 and barely doing anything for the titan. Right now overclocked 780s are beating on the Titan. thats why I figured the 780Ti will be the best card to get single GPU, but Im going to save money and get a regular 780 and upgrade to a 880GTX in the spring. I really wanted a 790GTX double GPU to come out because if you look at my build "grey Matter" I can only use 1 gpu so I wanted a banger. Like B neg said, the Titan was never meant to be a gaming card, it was a rendering card like the Tesla, it just so happened it could game pretty well. 780s are built for game and I bet youll see the 780Ti outscoring the Titan on marks, expecially when its overclocked. It also has like 150 more cuda cores than the reg 780

edit* the 780 is technically their flagship card, the Titan was only ever meant to be the Epeen card that made a 650$ single GPU card seem like a good price. That was their marketing ploy. They write drivers to help the 780 mostly, that why its getting better and better, so with the drivers and everything Else the TI will probably bench better than all the cards out. only by a little bit, if it is OCed it should win for sure...especially because if you OC a 290x it will probably melt into liquid silicon lol with a 95°C load bearing temp at stock speed. That thing def needs some water treatment

The 780 is benchmarking better than a Titan, the drivers have been helping the 780 and barely doing anything for the titan. Right now overclocked 780s are beating on the Titan. thats why I figured the 780Ti will be the best card to get single GPU, but Im going to save money and get a regular 780 and upgrade to a 880GTX in the spring. I really wanted a 790GTX double GPU to come out because if you look at my build "grey Matter" I can only use 1 gpu so I wanted a banger. Like B neg said, the Titan was never meant to be a gaming card, it was a rendering card like the Tesla, it just so happened it could game pretty well. 780s are built for game and I bet youll see the 780Ti outscoring the Titan on marks, expecially when its overclocked. It also has like 150 more cuda cores than the reg 780

edit* the 780 is technically their flagship card, the Titan was only ever meant to be the Epeen card that made a 650$ single GPU card seem like a good price. That was their marketing ploy. They write drivers to help the 780 mostly, that why its getting better and better, so with the drivers and everything Else the TI will probably bench better than all the cards out. only by a little bit, if it is OCed it should win for sure...especially because if you OC a 290x it will probably melt into liquid silicon lol with a 95°C load bearing temp at stock speed. That thing def needs some water treatment

the problem with a card that can be better than another by overclocking is that not every card is the same which leads to variables.. so a 780 that's faster than a titan due to an overclock for someone might not be the same to another person...silicon lottery. 

an overclocked titan (depending on how well it clocks) can pull an extra 10-15fps over a stock titan... i'm not trying to justify the absurd price of the titan/dualgpu cards because when you look at it through a budget filter a 780 is a much better card. BUT it doesnt change the fact that you're buying into the "elite" group of flagship card owners. it's like buying a supercar to go buy groceries meanwhile a $2k beater would do you just fine. 

when you put the titan on 1080p you truly wont see it shine (much like my 7990cf setup) but when you throw high resolutions you notice that it pulls ahead. 

as for the dual gpu thing, im sponsored by a certain company and our deal was to keep me updated with every generation of dual chip cards... i got a email saying there probably would be a box with 2 new shinny dual chip amd cards on my doorstep. that's fine i guess. 

the problem with a card that can be better than another by overclocking is that not every card is the same which leads to variables.. so a 780 that's faster than a titan due to an overclock for someone might not be the same to another person...silicon lottery. 

an overclocked titan (depending on how well it clocks) can pull an extra 10-15fps over a stock titan... i'm not trying to justify the absurd price of the titan/dualgpu cards because when you look at it through a budget filter a 780 is a much better card. BUT it doesnt change the fact that you're buying into the "elite" group of flagship card owners. it's like buying a supercar to go buy groceries meanwhile a $2k beater would do you just fine. 

when you put the titan on 1080p you truly wont see it shine (much like my 7990cf setup) but when you throw high resolutions you notice that it pulls ahead. 

as for the dual gpu thing, im sponsored by a certain company and our deal was to keep me updated with every generation of dual chip cards... i got a email saying there probably would be a box with 2 new shinny dual chip amd cards on my doorstep. that's fine i guess. 

Really the only place you will see Titan's shine is ultra high resolutions with a bunch of AA/AF cranked up, given the vram. I use very little filtering on any FPS' I play at 6000x1080 @ 120hz (for obvious reasons) and I'm not vram limited whatsoever. This generation is pretty funny, imho. Nvidia had such a large timeframe and gap to fill they really could do anything they wanted - and they did.

Even a 780 could be considered overkill for 1080p gaming. You certainly won't touch 3gb of vram, and likely won't need much more power, if any for that.

I'm excited to see how higher resolutions/4k will push AMD and Nvidia to provide higher vram on their cards as a standard feature, and not charge 1k/card for it. :D

skyrim can take up 4or so.. well, that's due to it being heavily modded in my machine. 

kinda sad that there's a possibility that the dual gpu cards arent hitting the market anymore.. not because i wont get a free pair but because they always sorta pushed the next gen to have similar performance at a lower cost... i guess the titan and 290x is doing that now but it pains me to see that there isnt a "colossus" a dual gpu titan or amd equivalent. (simply for the stupid fps numbers)

I've personally never been a big fan of dual GPU cards. Every experience I've had has been buggy for some reason or another. The only reason I could see them being a necessary advantage is in small form factors where you can only run 1 card. I'd almost 100% of the time take dual single gpu cards over a single dual gpu card.

I've personally never been a big fan of dual GPU cards. Every experience I've had has been buggy for some reason or another. The only reason I could see them being a necessary advantage is in small form factors where you can only run 1 card. I'd almost 100% of the time take dual single gpu cards over a single dual gpu card.

I totally agree, I can only use 1 GPU the way I designed my build so that is exactly why I wanted a double keplar GPU card

Full spec list of the TI, basically a Titan ultra! 2880 Cuda cores, with a Ghz edition coming and a 6gb edition coming as well! Fully unlocked keplar card for 699$ feel bad for people who bought 1000$ Titans recently, thats a kick in the whoohaa

http://wccftech.com/gtx-780-ti-specifications-confirmed-gk110-2880-sp-sheer-power/

I recant my gripeing and disappointment, and can continue my love for Nvidia haha

My biggest disappointment with the 780 or the 770 was lack of 4GB of VRAM, agreed, even 3 is overkill but going from 4 in the previous generation to 3 in the next seems like step backwards.

On the high res part of the world, AMD has always fared better so to me it will not be a surprise if AMD starts to kick some arse soon. When was the last time, a AMD launch made nvidia drop the price?

My biggest disappointment with the 780 or the 770 was lack of 4GB of VRAM, agreed, even 3 is overkill but going from 4 in the previous generation to 3 in the next seems like step backwards.

On the high res part of the world, AMD has always fared better so to me it will not be a surprise if AMD starts to kick some arse soon. When was the last time, a AMD launch made nvidia drop the price?

Yeah thats good, I like they hit em hard enough to drop their ego a bit and lower prices. Im always going to run with EVGA video cards, I really don't want to try anything else in that department, I experimented in the past and since my 8800GTX I found my GPU company for life pretty much. They'd really have to take a feces for me to stray away.

I dont see AMD ever really pulling ahead too far ahead and not ever for very long, all i think it will do is motivate Nvidia to pull out bigger guns for cheaper prices and Im cool with that. This was AMD's first pull ahead and they got to be on top for 3-4 weeks, because the 780TI should be out on the 7th of Nov, 15th of Nov at the latest. With the specs Ive seen, especially the GHZ enition and the 6GB edition, the maxed cuda core Keplar chip, nothing will be able to touch it, and in 4 months the Maxwell chip series will come out.

Great points, and I do love EVGA for their great support. Main reason why I went for the X79 dark. 

Regarding AMD, other major thing that are doing right is tying with game developers more than NVIDIA is. With the MANTLE API getting implemented more and more, AMD is doing what NVIDIA did with physx. If your card runs better on most of the new and in demand games, then I can see lot of ppl moving over to AMD. 

On the Titan vs 780 debate, I personally see it as a turbocharged 4 cylinder car, compared to a 6 cylinder car. They are both fast, and comparable on the track, and on paper. But 6 banger will always be smoother, and not struggle as much when its time to got 60.00 to 100.00 

Great points, and I do love EVGA for their great support. Main reason why I went for the X79 dark. 

Regarding AMD, other major thing that are doing right is tying with game developers more than NVIDIA is. With the MANTLE API getting implemented more and more, AMD is doing what NVIDIA did with physx. If your card runs better on most of the new and in demand games, then I can see lot of ppl moving over to AMD. 

You are definitely right, if they keep picking up the game developers and specializing the games to run better with their cards it will sway people to their cards, Nvidia got a good bit of new big name games though with their package, Black Flag, Splinter Cell, and Batman. IMO I hope it always stays in a close race because being a modder, the competition keeps great hardware at a decent price. I don't game as much any more because honestly modding is much more fun of a hobby haha, but I occasionally like to burn off some steam gunning people down in battlefield. 

You are definitely right, if they keep picking up the game developers and specializing the games to run better with their cards it will sway people to their cards, Nvidia got a good bit of new big name games though with their package, Black Flag, Splinter Cell, and Batman. IMO I hope it always stays in a close race because being a modder, the competition keeps great hardware at a decent price. I don't game as much any more because honestly modding is much more fun of a hobby haha, but I occasionally like to burn off some steam gunning people down in battlefield. 

Same here, even though I lack the tools to mod (you only make so much noise in an apartment before ppl start banging on your door). Hence I mostly build :( and not mod. But yes Battlefield is fun, and BF4 looks just awesome I will admit, and AMD was smart to get them on the list with Mantle. 

The Titan at max oc and a 780ti at max oc will see the Titan pull ahead,the Titan is waaaay underclocked.

At 4k res,the 290x is leading the pack and this is on release drivers,this will only increase as drivers mature.

Now that AMD are providing the console world with GPU's,they will be the trendsetter now which can only be a good thing as most games are ported over anyway,Mantle (if its not a busted flush) is another reason to think hard about AMD cards.

Its a good time to buy GPU's,saw a 7990 for £375 new recently and this I like very much.

The Titan at max oc and a 780ti at max oc will see the Titan pull ahead,the Titan is waaaay underclocked.

At 4k res,the 290x is leading the pack and this is on release drivers,this will only increase as drivers mature.

Now that AMD are providing the console world with GPU's,they will be the trendsetter now which can only be a good thing as most games are ported over anyway,Mantle (if its not a busted flush) is another reason to think hard about AMD cards.

Its a good time to buy GPU's,saw a 7990 for £375 new recently and this I like very much.

That is an awesome price for that card. 

Now if only AMD will start doing the same on the CPU side of the business.

Did you look at the Ti spec sheet I linked? It is a Titan ultra...Its a maxed out Keplar chip, 2880 cuda cores, 200 more than titan, also its clocked over 900mhz and turbos over a gig, can probably OC to 1100..A titan cant be better, in any way, there is a 6 gig version of the Ti as well which is essentially the Titan ultra, and a GHz edition will be released as well which will be insanely clocked

I mean maybe Ill eat my words when the official benchmarks come out but I dont think anything will be better than a 780Ti