Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ffxv'.
Found 1 result
So I was asked to create a Final Fantasy XV themed case for the GamesCom announcement of the PC version due in 2018. That sounded awesome and I was looking for something to do so why not? There were only two real challenges: 1) I had three weeks to get it done, or rather two by the time everything was OK'd and 2)I've never played a Final Fantasy game in my life. This could be interesting. So I dove into FFXV, trailers, walkthroughs, the CGI movie and finally came up with a theme I liked based on Lunafreya Nox Fleuret a major character in the story. I decided to use her dresses from the Kingsglaive movie and from her role as an oracle as a guide for the look. The idea being that the internal look of the case would pull details from the Kingsglaive dress and the exterior would draw from the oracle dress. My chicken scratches of the idea. So lets start off this quick build log with the case, the Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG. The S is for silent and you get the top grill covers, which I wanted, and some deadening material. The TG for the tempered glass version. It's a pretty nice case. Open interior with a PSU shroud and a pretty clean look. And the front pops off easy enough, which is good since that's what I'm starting on. After pulling the grills and plastic trim(which, my only complaint about the case is the plastics don't match the paint) I had to figure out a way to mimic the lines of Luna's oracle dress on the front panel. I originally thought foam, but decided to try polystyrene since it bends easily with heat and would give me the lines similar to the folds in Luna's dress. So I cut some patterns and laid it out using tape to hold everything in place. Once I was happy with how it looked, I marked all the edges so I could piece it back together. Starting with the bottom layer, I glued the center section of the pattern to keep everything set and then used a heat gun to let me wrap the polystyrene around the curves. After that I could trim the polystyrene and glue the rest of the layer down. When all the layers were done, I wound up with this. It's hard to pick out the white on white, but the pattern was good, if not a little rough. My touch with the polystyrene is a little rough, but nothing a little bondo and a lot of sanding can't fix. And once it was all smoothed out, I could start laying down the paint on everything. I started out with a white sealer base followed by a water based white. I'm still a little iffy on using this for an entire case since the coat is very thin and it's not nearly as durable as an auto urethane or even rattle can paint. Since I was a bit iffy about the durability and this case was going to shows, I decided that a few coats of a good 2k clear were in order. It also gave a nice bit of shine to the matte finish of the airbrush paint.